Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can not open XP Home [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Levon

Levon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am not sure the OS is still on the computer. Cannot open in safe mode although the screen comes up and I select Safe Mode nothing will happen. In the bios the computer should boot first with the floppy disk, then the CD should boot the computer and finally the boot comes from the OS. All that I ever see is the opening screen of XP Home. Never gets past that. If the Malware has formated the C drive, which is the hard drive, would I see this opening screen? Is there a program that I might be able to use to recover the data from this hard drive without excessive cost? Or some software that can look at the hard drive and tell me if it has been formated. I sure would like to be able to recover some of the data.

This happened when an email was opened that said something like, "I have changed my email address" and the daughter of the house thought this was from one of her friends so she opened it. Next time it was opened it was in the present condition. The first screen was blue and said "scan disk cannot scan this disk as the files are corrupted' then it tried to open and stuck in the opening screen of XP.

Sure could use some help and advice on this problem;
Levon

Advertisements

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
Hi and welcome to GeeksToGo! My name is Sam and I will be helping you. :tazz:
I apologize for the delay getting to your log, the helpers here are very busy.

I think everything is still there, we just need to get you booted up. Do you get any kind of error message or does the screen just stay black and then freezes?

Levon

Levon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Sam,
Thanks for the reply. I should have waited for you. I took it to my Computer repairman and we downloaded a some software that Has found all th e files and says they can be restored. But it was getting late and we stopped for the day. I hope it does not tell me that it cannot open the files because they are corrupted. But the program seems to have worked great. By tomorrow before noon we will know how it is going. I will get back to you.
Thanks again for your help
Levon

Actually the screen opened only to the Windows XP opening window but never opens, no matter how long you wait. Sometimes it will kick out and start over.

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
Once you get to where you can boot back up, you'll probably still have to deal with the malware infection.

Just let me know if you still need my help. :tazz:

Levon

Levon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sam,
There lies my concern. If this program works and it seems to be working OK. It found all the lost programs, files, etc and this AM as they were being restored--it takes many hours for it to work, it will be at least tomorrow sometime it appears before they are all restored.
But what is to keep it from restoring the malware that did all the damage and if it does how do we handle from there?
Levon

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
It's unlikely that malware alone caused your computer to crash. Viruses and other malware aren't designed with that intent. That was the old days.

But it is possible that if malware was introduced to your computer before the crash, as you have indicated, then it will probably still be there. So your first step is to run any antivirus program that you already have installed on your computer.

Then post a hijackthis log here so I can take a look at what we're dealing with. If it's malware, we'll get rid of it for you.

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.