Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After Spybot, Internet doesn't work.

• Please log in to reply

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hello, I just got rid of some infected files with Spybot. I am typing this from a different computer (we have 3 in the house). Just FYI, I use a Wireless broadband internet. Anyway, after deleting all the files with spybot the internet did something really strange...

The wireless signal is working because it detects a strong signal and our laptop which also uses the wireless has a working internet so its something wrong with the computer. When trying www.google.com, it starts out as 'Page cannot be displayed' but if I keep clicking Refresh it works. However, when I search for something, like Amazon then try to click on any result, 'Page cannot be displayed' comes up and this time even if I mass-click refresh it doesnt work. So the internet is like 'half-working.' Please help! Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you can get winsockxpfix from here, near top

http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

If not, download it to another PC, save to disc then load it to the problem PC

If no change, save the other programmes from there then post the Hijack This log

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
I had a similar problem - wireless adapter connected at virtually full strength and no connection. I solved if (after many hours) by uninstalling the software on the wireless computers and reinstalling.

I don't know why it worked but it did - on two computers.