Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stuck on safe mode screen

• Please log in to reply

humming1955

humming1955

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After attempting unsuccessfully trying to remove a vundo virus from my daughter's computer, I put the computer in safe mode. I had already turned off system restore during the vundo removal tool supplied by Norton. Now the computer is stuck on the black screen and opens up no icons for me to go any further. The black screen I am referring is after it asks for log on, then it freezes. I have tried turning off and back. We have no administrator password set for the computer so I am logging on under her password, then it freezes... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Try system restoring, if you cant get to it in windows explorer, do the following. before windows xp startup logo appears, press f8, select safe mode with command prompt, at the command prompt type the following:

cd \windows\System32\restore\
rstrui.exe

that should start the windows system restore wizard.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Try system restoring, if you cant get to it in windows explorer, do the following. before windows xp startup logo appears, press f8, select safe mode with command prompt, at the command prompt type the following:

cd \windows\System32\restore\
rstrui.exe

that should start the windows system restore wizard.

Unfortunately humming1955 stated that s/he had already turned off system restore while trying to remove the vundo virus.

humming1955,

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. They are great at what they do and will be able to help you out. I know you are supposed to post a HijackThis log in your first post in a new topic, but since you can't, just say that in your post and they will help you from there.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Good luck!

Fenor

humming1955

humming1955

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am writing to say that I managed to get my stuck in safe mode problem resolved. I wish I had used better logic to begin with, as all I had to do was log on as administrator, use ctrl-alt-del and go through task manager to get to run msconfig. Now I am back where I started with my virus problem and will work with the people on that forum for that. But please continue reading as I was hoping for some help on another issue.

I do have a question though about the task manager. Some time ago, my daughter was trying to end a process and "hit a key or keys" and ever since then the appearance of the task manager window has been different and acted strangely. (This is why I tried going in as administrator like I said above) All that you see is Image Name, User Name, Session ID CPU, and Mem usage for columns--there are no tabs to enable any other activity. Down at the bottom it just says end process--there is no cancel button or others-can't remember what else should be there. I have tried a few different keys to get it back looking "normal" to no avail. Can you tell me how to fix this? We would sure appreciate it. I am so glad to have discovered this site!! That is one good thing that came out of this situation. Should I have not put it safe mode and have system restore turned off too? I thought that was not a problem based on reading Norton virus fix articles. Thanks again for replying to the above two questions--I know you all are very busy.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try double-clicking on any part of the border around this window and the tabs should reappear.

Fenor

humming1955

humming1955

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It worked. Thank you very much!