Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"windows cannot open this file .........."

• Please log in to reply

Colleen680

Colleen680

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have found a similar problem to mine in an earlier post but I'm afraid I got lost trying to follow all the links. Another problem I seem to have is that none of my programmes will open - not even when I download new programmes to "fix" the problem.

I think I caused this myself and I don't think I have a virus (although, of course, I cannot be sure as I cannot run my virus checker, apart from Spyware Doctor which doesn't detect anything). Anyway, I was downloading the free version of AVG and removing the trial version when things went wrong.

I have also tried to click Start, Run and type Command but that won't work either.

Some programmes take me to a web page called Microsoft Windows File Associations but to be honest I don't know how to find what extension I am meant to be looking for.

rundll32.exe is mentioned when I click on some programmes. I have got HiJack this but it won't launch.

I hope someone can help and I apologise if this has been addressed before.

Best wishes. Colleen

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD, you get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot

This will replace system files

Click start then run, type cmd then press enter to see if you can run what you need to. Alternatively, you can click start, all programmes, accessories, command prompt, though see how you get on with the system file check first

Colleen680

Colleen680

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm afraid I tried that already but it says "windows cannot open this file". An added problem is that I do not have a Windows XP disc.

I fear the worst.

Colleen

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Either borrow a same version XP CD to run the repair install, when it asks for the product key, make sure you insert yours from the sticker on the PC Tower, or you would need to buy one

If you installed with XP SP1 then you would need this version XP CD, not XP with SP2, even though SP2 may be installed

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update