Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with old laptop

• Please log in to reply

aceraider4

aceraider4

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have an old compaq armada 1130, 16 megs of ram, 1.2 gig hdd, and 120mhz processor. it doesnt have a OS so im trying to use a CompUSA pcmcia network card to hook into my home network and do a network install of Win98, problem is that i dont know how to install the drivers for the pcmcia through a boot disk, nor do i really know how to do a network install, i would just gro from a cd but the external cdrom uses the parrallel port and needs special drivers that won install in dos mode. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
welcome to geekstogo
I wish I could help on this but with out a working cd rom its going to be hard to get win 98 installed on the laptop what I would do is look around on the web for a set of win 95 floppy disk they did put win 95 on floppy but not win 98 and with only 16 meg of ram I don't know if win98 would run that great.
<_<

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Does it even have a floppy? try a linux distro, DSL is around 50 mb, it should run that ok