Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multiboot

• Please log in to reply

Elfus

Elfus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a multi boot pc, with 98, 2k Pro, XP pro. The other day I had to reinstall win 2k. After doing so at first all Os's were working, the only difference I noticed was the boot menu order. But now when I click on Win xp, win 2k tries to start instead and it is giving the same error message that I was getting when I had to reinstall 2k. The error message is...winnt\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. If I click on the boot menu win 2k......I get win 2k it starts. If I click on the boot menu win 98...I get win 98. But for some reason clicking on Win xp......win 2k tries to start but can't. If I run win 2k and look in computer management it shows all 3 os's in their proper drive and says they are all working. What I did to fix this so far hasnt worked. I used the recovery console to replace the file with a new one from the Win xp cd. Then when that didn't work I was going to install XP overtop of it self, but instead of getting the option to repair it said it didnt reccomend installing the os on that volume because another os was already there. That just doesnt make sense to me. I have my volumes are named C: WIN98, D: WIN2k, E: MYStuff, F: WINXP. Its like the computer thinks that Win 2k is insltalled on F also which it isnt. When I reinstalled 2k, I installed it to the same volume. I didnt mix it up thats why I name them by their os. Plus like I mentioned all 3 OS's were working right after the reinstall of 2k. What do you suggest.

Advertisements

Elfus

Elfus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
bump

Elfus

Elfus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
bump

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well, as a rule, when you're wanting to do a multi-boot, microsoft tells you to install them in order of age, starting with the oldest, finally ending with XP...

Seems to me like you might want to try and re-install XP, if that's not a problem...

Or, maybe try the fdisc /mbr command under DOS, however i dont know much about it, never used it, so read up on it before using it...

OR, get partition magic and use BOOT MAGIC to fix it all :tazz:

Elfus

Elfus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I think your right about reinstalling XP. Everything I tried so far just isnt working. I am going to give it a couple of more days though to make sure there is no other alternative. A dos start up disk doesnt see NTFS so fdisk is a no go. I did try the recovery console, which still didnt fix my problem. This is the 3 rd time I lost and OS on this pc. I sure would like to know what caused it. I suspect using a disk cleaner is what did it, but I am just not sure

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
No, disk cleaners arent supposed to delete anything important, they just clear up temp folders and stuff like that...

Like i said, reinstalling XP might work.

Just a question though, the 3 OS's ARE on seperate Partitions, correct?

If not, well, i wouldnt be surprized this stuff doesnt happen more often.

Elfus

Elfus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yes I have them different partitions. I have also had to reinstall 98 a few months back. This is why I wish I could find out why this keeps happening so if its something I am doing I would know not to do it. I hardley ever use the pc that it happens on. Just to do updates etc. I havent reinstalled yet though, I am hoping to get time over the weekend to do it, we shall see.