Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sharing files with laptop connected to network

• Please log in to reply

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i have a laptop connected to my network right now, how do i share files and also see files on the other computer on the network.

please help

thanks
ankush

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
make a folder on the desktop of every computer. call it anything you want. right click and go to sharing and security. click the share this folder. put in a share name and make it the same share name on every computer. next hit the permissions button and highlight everyone. next hit full control. no open my computer and on the left click my network places. now on the left hit add a network place then choose network location in the box type

\\(computer name of any computer on network)\(whatever you put as the share name)

now when you hit my network places that folder should be there. any files in that folder are available to everyone on the network

w1f1

w1f1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
both computers being in the same workgroup helps, then you can just go to " my network places" and other network devices will show up

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
being in the same workgroup can share the default shared folders you have to manually set up shared this way. the workgroup may help if your network isn't setup completely. the workgroup will just let you view files not change or copy them

ankush patel

ankush patel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i set up the same network name as the other computers

when i go to view other computers in my workgroup

it brings up and error.

on my other computers they can see the laptop but cant access it, when i click it an errror also shows

i appreciate

all the effort
thanks again

ankush