Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Unknown Partition... Computer DEAD!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

joannestevenson

joannestevenson

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have tried to resize my partition on my Hard Drive using Partition Magic 8 and it now wont boot. The partition is there but windows XP will not repair the partition as it says it is an unknown partition

We have tried fixmbr and fixboot these did not work. When we have run setup the option to repair Win XP is not present only the option for formatting or repartitioning the drive.

As my data is stored on this drive I do not want to do this, is there any way (anything at all!!) of recovering from this situation or retrieving my files?

Any help would be much appreciated?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Is your XP cd an OEM (recovery/restore cd that came with the system like a Dell, HP, etc) or is it an original retail version of XP or a copy you or someone made for you (totally different setup procedure here) ??

Murray

joannestevenson

joannestevenson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The XP that i have was copied for me and is not an original.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Murray

Saved you the bother

Keith

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally