Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer thinks that harddrive is full, when it's not

• Please log in to reply

partisan17

partisan17

• Pip
  • 2 posts
PLEASE HELP!
i have win XP home, 40gb, 512 ddr, nvidia card, toshiba laptop.
At this point i accumulated a lot of different software and pictures, but now when i go to my computer and look at amount of space left, it says that i have about 5 gb left, when i use a special program to see how much space is left i get at least 10gb. Can anybody help me out and tell me how i can fix this b.s.
thank you.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

PLEASE HELP!
i have win XP home, 40gb, 512 ddr, nvidia card, toshiba laptop.
At this point i accumulated a lot of different software and pictures, but now when i go to my computer and look at amount of space left, it says that i have about 5 gb left, when i use a special program to see how much space is left i get at least 10gb. Can anybody help me out and tell me how i can fix this b.s.
thank you.

I would tend to believe Windows. However, it may be that you just have too much trash on your computer. Do you ever delete your Temporary internet files or empty your Temp folder contents? These two folders can accumulate tons of unneeded trash. Try deleting all the files in these two folders, defrag your hard drive, and see if that helps.

partisan17

partisan17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well, the thing is that in "my computer" it shows that i have just over 5 gb left, but if i use of the programs that locate large files on my computer and tells me exactly how much memory is used up, it shows that i only have 27 gb out of 40gb hard drive. I would think that that programm accounts for temp files and i did clean them up about a week ago. so any other suggestions?