Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sleep mode

• Please log in to reply

Froesey

Froesey

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've been using the sleep mode on my computer for almost a year and its worked great. I usually shut it down once in a while to get everything updated but for some reason it has stopped going into sleep mode. When i press the button to sleep the computer turns off just as it usually would but when i press a key to awake it, the computer has restarted. I tried letting the computer put itself into sleep mode by using the power settings but once again it only shut down the computer and when i pressed a key to wake it, it had restarted. I'd really like to be able to use that feature since it is one I use quite often. Also on a totally unrelated matter, if i was to go into my system settings and change my jumpfree config higher and change the performance speed to turbo is it possible it could damage my hardware or would it just overheat and shut off if it was to high. Any input on either of these matters would be greatly appreciated. :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Power management in Windows is one of the most problematic areas that exists. It's so fickle and will often just decide one day it doesn't want to sleep anymore.

The most common cause of this type of behaviour is a new driver that has been installed (knowingly or otherwise) and isn't compatible with sleep mode.

If its available, try putting the system into hiberation mode instead. Do this by holding down the left Shift key when you go to Shut Down, the option appears instead of Stand By. It's the exact same thing as Sleep, only you need to press the power button to bring it back.

With regards to overclocking, yes it can and often does damage hardware. Overclocking your processor means it generates more heat -> heat it can't rid of quickly enough and so it can overheat.

Froesey

Froesey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
what is an average or safe heat for my computer to be running at?..i have a program that tells me what temp it is

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
At idle my intel 3.0 runs at 35 degrees C, my athlon 2400 runs at idle 40 degrees C. A third puter, athlon barton 2600 runs at 55degrees C, so i am now installing a thermotake copper heatsink with a 92 mm fan to see if i can get the temp down with the others. When playing some games or just messing around both the first 2 puters can run up to 60 degreesC( it varies between 50 to 60)and the barton has seen 70 degrees C. All of them run just fine at these temps but i would prefer the barton to run a little cooler. On the AMD website they say they can run at 85 degrees C but i dont think i want to find out that. Be careful with programs as they can be a bit off on temps. Motherboard monitor says my barton runs 7 degrees cooler than what the bios says. I really would like to buy a thermo-imaging camera to find out what it says.

SRX660