Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't get hard drive to initialize

• Please log in to reply

legaljbird

legaljbird

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have windows xp and i got a new 120 gig hard drive, i previously had an 80 gig hard drive with xp on it. I decided to put the 120 in as the master and use the 80 as a slave, so i moved the jumpers oppropriately and installed xp on the 120 and was going to move my files from the 80 over to the 120 when done. However though my bios and device manager recognises the 80 explorer don't. I went to computer manager and it says it's unallocated and not initialized. when i right click it and select initialize then select the disk and hit ok it doesn't do anything. can someone please help me as i need my files from the 80 very badly.
Thank You in advance

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you put the 120 gig in..did you reinstall xp?

legaljbird

legaljbird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yes on the 120

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there is a possiblity that you deleted the partition on the 80 gig drive....(gulp!)....

let's go over your process here...

you took the 80 gig drive out of the machine....rejumpered it to slave,
jumpered the 120 gig drive as master...and installed the drives.

you put your xp cd in the cdrom and booted from the cd
came up with the setup screen..

during this process....was there a screen with...probably two partitions listed? one should have said something about windows...and the other should have been unallocated space?

legaljbird

legaljbird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no just the unallocated space so i partitioned and and installed all on the 120