Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Compresion

• Please log in to reply

Jmody

Jmody

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
What program can i use to take a folder that is 700mb and zip it to smaller than 10mb so i can email it. i tried winrar but im to stupid to figure it out. please help.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

What the heck are you trying to send that's 700mb in size?? :tazz:

Murray

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Unless your data fits some very specific criteria, there is no compression program that is going to go from 700Mb to less than 10Mb. You may be able to compress the file and then break the archive up into 10Mb chunks, aka rar files and their *.00, *.01, ... archives.

Cheers,
Tom

What program can i use to take a folder that is 700mb and zip it to smaller than 10mb so i can email it. i tried winrar but im to stupid to figure it out. please help.

Jmody

Jmody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thats what i figured. Unfortnately. Im trying to send my itunes music to a friend through email. Ill just make a dvd with the file on it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
good idea

Zhequajah

Zhequajah

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I use WinRAR 342 to compress and break large files or whole folders into emailable chunks that self extracts at the receiving end. Do a Google search to find a site to download it from.
To start, click the Wizard icon at the top of the WinRAR window. Continue with create new archive and just follow prompts when you get to the create a self extracting archive this is where you set the size in Bytes. If you want to set the RAR parts at 8 Mega-Bytes each put in 8,000,000 in the Bytes Box and continue. Getting it done will take a bit of experimenting, just keep trying. Be Ready, a 700 MB archive will take a while and have close to 50 Rar parts. I don't know the max size maybe a whole DVD movie can be RAR'd with over a hundred parts.
Good Luck - Z

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Be Ready, a 700 MB archive will take a while and have close to 50 Rar parts. I don't know the max size maybe a whole DVD movie can be RAR'd with over a hundred parts.

Um, why?

A DVD can hold 4.7Gb, or 9.4Gb if its dual-layer. 700Mb is a drop in the ocean. Why bother RARing it? Just burn them straight to the disk.

Plus the tunes are probably MP3 so actually RARing them will probably reduce them by about, ooh, about one megabyte? Is the time and effort worth it?!

Zhequajah

Zhequajah

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Um, why?

A DVD can hold 4.7Gb, or 9.4Gb if its dual-layer. 700Mb is a drop in the ocean. Why bother RARing it? Just burn them straight to the disk.

Plus the tunes are probably MP3 so actually RARing them will probably reduce them by about, ooh, about one megabyte? Is the time and effort worth it?!

Well, the why: He asked for a way to rar a 700MB file for emailing. Its mighty difficult to email a burned DVD Disk :tazz:

Jmody

Jmody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Now somehting unfortunate i found out about our lovely ITunes. The Mofo's make it an M4P file. What the... is that. I can not burn them to a dvd. I a single layer dvd. 4.6gig, well i try to burn the songs onto it and it tells me they wont fit. I need to now find a program that will convert it from a M4P file to an MP3 file. that way it can be placed on a cd. I HATE ITUNES!!!

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
M4P / AAC is apple's itunes protected music file format. You can "unlock" these m4p files and convert them to mp3 in respect to "fair use" so one can play the music files THEY LEGALLY PURCHASED THEMSELVES on a non-DRM restricted device, like a misc MP3 player or MP3 cd player. There is a program that will do the above, but leaves in the "code" that states that you purchased the file, thus still protecting apple's intellectual property. Program is called "Hymn" (now JHymn) and you can check it out at:

http://www.hymn-project.org/

Hope that helps in your goal! And don't hate ITunes, hate music industry forced crappy DRM!

Cheers,
Tom

Now somehting unfortunate i found out about our lovely ITunes. The Mofo's make it an M4P file. What the... is that. I can not burn them to a dvd. I a single layer dvd. 4.6gig, well i try to burn the songs onto it and it tells me they wont fit. I need to now find a program that will convert it from a M4P file to an MP3 file. that way it can be placed on a cd. I HATE ITUNES!!!