Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAPTOP WONT BOOT

• Please log in to reply

kendo2222

kendo2222

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
HI, I cant seem to boot up my fujitsu lifebook, it has xp pro, it recently booted up to the login screen then i after i logged on with my password it displayed a blue warning screen and before i could read it it rebooted but this time it would be blank but the cd rom would be spinning and the power lights up. i cant access bios or get a display. i unplugged the h/d and plugged it back in, it booted up to the the login screen then displayed the blue screen again, some eror maybe insuficant space etc... the display doesnt hang around long enough for me to read it. now when i power on it just diplays blank and all power lights and cd rom spinning etc.. i left xp install disc in cos i heard you can repair if it runs. i removed the bios battery and it loaded up the xp bootup screen and offered the options of safe mode, settings mode but i when i pressed the options it wouldnt do anything, the screen kept flicking. i turned off and now its back to no display. i have some work on the h/d which i would like to get. i tried to plug the h/d into a usb caddy and open up with my other pc but cant seem to find the drive on my pc. strange thing is my brothers caompaq laptop is doing the same thing blank screen and lights only, could there be a virus or something. could i use the fujitsu h/d as a slave on my pc using a ide 2.5 to 3.5 converter i got of ebay to get the files out. and then reformatt the h/d. my last option is to bring it to a laptop repair company which would cost lots, but i have seem it boot up and displayed stuff, so i am hoping it is a xp issue. pls advise. thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i say right now your ide converter would be a good shot to try... though...there's no real reason why it wouldn't have detected in the usb...theoretically....try the ide converter and let us know what happens

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
when i plugged it into the caddy the pc detected usb mass storage but would not show on the pc as adrive letter like F, or G etc... other 2.5 h/d i put into the usb caddy show up, could it be anything to do with xp pro password management. but i will give the ide thing a try tomorow when i have all the parts together and let you know, thanks for the quick reply, but do you think the laptop is faulty now or h/d, last note the h/d is 60gb and has been partitioned into two.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it could be either the laptop itself...or the drive...the only real way to confirm it is to either put a n ew drive in the laptop...or get the old drive to be recognized in a new machine(or enclosure)

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i tried installing win 98 onto a 15gb h/d from my brothers compaq laptop and put it into my fujitsu still it does the same no display or cannot get bios up. would it need to install drivers specific for each h/d that you use. thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no......i was under the assumption that you were getting to bios....but..you're not right? nothing is displaying on the screen? and beeps or anything?

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi, if the xp screen comes on i can get into bios, but that only seems like every once if i take all the h/d battery and bios battery out and put it back again, after that it wont boot up any display and all it does after pressing the power button is power up lights cdrom spins and fans spin, i did recently set the 1st boot to boot from cd rom as i have the xp install disc in just in case it starts up. there are no beeps at all.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let's do a couple of tests...

take everything off of the motherboard....all expansion cards the hard drive the ram...everything but the PSU....boot it....any beeps?
now put one stick of ram in and the video card...any beeps? anything on the screen

kendo2222

kendo2222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok, i took all ram out and powered on, there was beeps but no boot up. i plggued ram back in along with h/d, i now get a boot up scrren with f2 f12 and esc for various boot up options, i pressed one of them and it goes onto waiting at the bottom, but nothing happens. after aturning off and on again, i get hardisk boot password which when i tried my existing password did not work, i did remove the bios battery for a few minutes earlier, but how could it change my password, after a while when i turn it off by pressing the power button, it goes back to blank bootup screen as before, i only get the password menu after i keep removing ram and putting back in. any suggestions. thnaks