Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Directing XP downloads

• Please log in to reply

basils57

basils57

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've just re-installed Windows XP Home, and whereas previously my downloads automaticaly went to 'My Downloads', now they go to the desktop. The download box/window that comes up showing the download progress has the message at the bottom saying that downloads will be placed on the desktop, and I dont seem to be able to find out where to change this destination.

Any suggestions please?

Edited by basils57, 29 November 2005 - 08:45 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
CAUTION editing the registry can be dangerous...do not do this unless you are comfortable with the registry..BACK UP your registry before making any changes.

Change Internet Explorer default Download Directory

Click [Start] [Run] [Regedit] and navigate to the following Key:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]

In the right-pane, change the data for [Download Directory] to your existing download folder
[Enter full path, say E:\Internet\Downloads]

If the entry is not found, create a new String Value [called as REG_SZ] named Download Directory and set the data accordingly. Quit Registry Editor and Restart Windows

basils57

basils57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for that dsenette, I'm using Firefox mainly,so what happens here?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe..in that case i have no idea....there may be a similar registry entry in the firefox section.....i don't have firefox on this machine so i'm not sure....let me dl it and see if i can find it for you

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

When you start the download process, you should get a window that shows where the download is going to.. Use the "dropdown arrow" and point it to your "My Downloads" folder and start your download..

Everything should be defaulted to that folder until you change it..

Murray

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in firefox...go to tools > options > downloads...then change the download location

basils57

basils57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks once again folks - don't know how I missed that one!