Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

From DVR to PC

• Please log in to reply

Mr_Radford

Mr_Radford

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a DVR (like a TiVo) that records programs in MPEG2 format and I want to be able to copy the recorded programs onto my computer (using Windows XP) so I can then make DVDs from the recorded material. I can connect the DVR harddrive to my computer through IDE to USB connection, but when I do the computer doesn't recognize the new harddrive. Is the harddrive not formated correctly or something? Is there some software I can get to allow my computer to read the harddrive?

Thanks,

Mr_Radford

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of dvr is it? and are you saying that you are physically taking the drive out of the machine and hooking it up to your computer? doesn't seem like it would have to be that hard...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.dslreport...6?hilite=dvr pc

that's from another forum....referencing motorola DVR's that come from comcast....there's a link to a guide...and...it basically says you need to use firewire...for some reason..and a bunch of other convoluded steps...

Mr_Radford

Mr_Radford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your help. I have a Dish Network 510 DVR, and I found a Yahoo Group that is solely there to help people with Dish Network DVRs rip the programs to the PC. Now we'll see if I can ge it to work. Thanks again!