Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Icons in start menu

• Please log in to reply

Jessieboogie

Jessieboogie

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Everytime i use a program it gets pinned to my start menu. Anyone know how to stop this? Thanks!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean "it get's pinned to the start menu"? could you be more descriptive?

Jessieboogie

Jessieboogie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
when i use a program its "icon" gets pinned to the start menu like where the internet explorer icon and the media player icon is. Get it? Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not quite (still not being descriptive enough soooo here come more questions)

do you mean in the quick launch bar
or do you mean up above the program folders when you actually open the start menu?

(i'm not trying to be a [bleep]...i'm making sure i know what you're talking about before suggesting something)

Jessieboogie

Jessieboogie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok......u know how you left click start and that box pops up with all the icons? all programs log off turn off my computer and so on. know what i mean now?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Right click the taskbar, click properties, go to start menu tab, have dot in start menu, click customize, in the middle change the number of programs on start menu. Done

SRX660

Jessieboogie

Jessieboogie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
not done. icons still appear on there from what ever program i used

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
In XP there is a space at the top where some icons will still be there even if you set the number of icons to 0. There is usually a line between these icons and the normal ones that are quick links to the most used programs. Is this where the icons show up for you? If so i think there must be a corrupt file somewhere. One thing you can try doing is to lock the taskbar. If you are worried that the icons keep changing as you open up new programs, this is what the quick launch is supposed to do. It is there to save you a step to opening your most used programs. On mine the bottom 2 or 3 icons change constantly while my most used programs are moved up on the list and always seem to be there.

If you really don't like this feature you can always switch to the windows classic mode in your display properties.

SRX660