Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want full access to my network computer

• Please log in to reply

scomar

scomar

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I just networked 2 computers through a router and both computers seem to be networking nicely except for one problem. I have my main computer, called upstairs and the other one is called downstairs. I want to be able to have FULL access to the downstairs computer from my upstairs computer. I do not want any access to my upstairs computer from my downstairs computer except for the shared documents. I can access pretty much everything on the downstairs computer except for the \\Downstairs\C\Documents and Settings\Scott. Scott, which is me, is set up as the adminastrator for the down stairs computer. When I try to access \\Downstairs\C\Documents and Settings\Scott usually through the my computer program it gives me this message: \\Downstairs\C\Documents and Settings\Scott is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the adminastrator of this server to find out if you have permission. Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

Scott

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's supposed to do that. The settings in that folder are crucial to the working of that user account on that computer.

Therefore messing with the permissions for it will probably break the account and render it unusable.

You'll see similiar effects with Program Files and the Windows folder.

If you want access to the individual folders inside Docs & Settings\Scott, share the individual folders inside it.

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

It's supposed to do that. The settings in that folder are crucial to the working of that user account on that computer.

Therefore messing with the permissions for it will probably break the account and render it unusable.

You'll see similiar effects with Program Files and the Windows folder.

If you want access to the individual folders inside Docs & Settings\Scott, share the individual folders inside it.

Thanks so much for the reply! I will look at making the folders I want to access shared.

Thanks again!

Scott