Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System file - ME

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

papa_A_D

papa_A_D

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Recently I seem to be unable to call up the Registry Editor :) . I can run MSCONFIG, so I know some system files are OK. I type in

regedit

in the RUN box of START and I get an

unable to locate file

error. I think this is the proper command for OS / ME. I ran a virus and spyware scan with no problems. Can someone help :tazz:

Thanks,
papa

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Do a search for "regedit" and see if it's been moved or deleted. If you find it, write down its location and post it in your response to me. If it is not found, it could have been deleted somehow...

papa_A_D

papa_A_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
How would you suggest I copy this search from Explorer to you? There are 8 or 9 REGEDIT's, but not in the C:Windows\System. Five are zipped (MSRegedit) and located in All Users and four are located in C:Windows\Help. What next, please?

papa

Edited by papa_A_D, 01 December 2005 - 08:10 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Choose any Regedit that is an application (unzipped) and double-click on it. If the Registry Editor starts up, then that is the Regedit you are looking for. Copy it (Ctrl + C) and open C:\windows\system\ and paste it (Ctrl + V) in the System folder.

Now try going to Start, Run, and type in regedit and press enter. If Registry Editor pops up, then the System folder was the correct one. If it doesn't pop up, try copying it to the Windows folder instead.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 December 2005 - 08:39 AM.

papa_A_D

papa_A_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
The only non-zipped regedit files are HELP files. The zipped files were done by Spybot/Recovery.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's a bad sign.....if spybot is quarantining your regedit.exe...then you've got a pretty funky infection

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

papa_A_D

papa_A_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Found a few spyware problems using malware section. I'll run the HJT there and see what's keeping me from runnning REGEDIT.

Thanks,
papa