Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Connect with LAN! Why?

• Please log in to reply

Twiztnin223

Twiztnin223

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hello all!

I am currently working on a HP Pavilion 9680c (all parts except the power supply and hard drive are original parts) for my parents for Christmas (aka low on cash but a 800Mhz comp is better than their old 233Mhz).

Everything is working fine, EXCEPT I cannot get this darn thing to connect to my internet (Charter). I know my RJ45 is fine because I am using the RJ45 cable right now on my computer.

I tried to install new drivers for this NIC card (HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100) without any luck.

I messed with some settings but didn't seem to help.

I really want to give this to my parents before Christmas. Please let me know any info or ideas you may have with this. Thanks!

P.S. Here are the specs for this PC if it helps:

http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph05321

Power Supply = 350 Watt

Hard Drive = Maxtor 40GB

Edited by Twiztnin223, 01 December 2005 - 01:07 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. If you go to my computer, right click properties, hardware, device manager does the network adapter show up there? Right click on it, properties. Does it say the device is working properly?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Google for, download and run LSPFix.

Problems like this are often caused by programs that don't uninstall properly, namely internet security suites and anti virus packages and firewalls, etc which leave Windows with an instruction to use a certain file from a package that now no longer exists. LSPFix repairs this chain by removing entries to the non existant files thus allowing Windows, after a reboot, to now be able to connect to an ISP/Router and fetch an IP address.