Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Background Images in Firefox/IE

• Please log in to reply

sarahd711

sarahd711

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
If anyone could just answer a quickie...

I'm using an inline frame on my webpage, and in order to match the layout I made I have a background image for each page. However, it does not load in Internet Explorer (just plain white shows) and in Firefox it is not fixed despite the properties I specified in the HTML.

Any help?

Advertisements

njustice

njustice

• PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
Hello, can you give us the URL to your site please?

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
http://www.geocities.../jigglejangle7/

Sorry about the ads on Geocities...I'm currently trying to find a domain to host my site for free. :)

Thanks!! :tazz:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I'm currently trying to find a domain to host my site for free.

You'll be lucky.

Site wise:

Absolutely ugly is all I can say to that design.

Anyway, IIRC Internet Explorer doesn't particularly get on with PNG files and doesn't seem to like them when you try to use them as a background-image for whatever reason. Convert it to a JPEG perhaps?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lol, its a little gawdy, have you tried running it through one of the better HTML editors, coding HTML by hand is all nice and fun but you occasionally pick up odd errors and the better HTML editors iron out some of the not quite bugs but not quite right bits.

Jpegs are the way to go, that site takes a while to load im guessing tha background image is pretty big, but when doing sites its all about KISS keep it simple stupid, the best sites are simple to use with simple colour schemes.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
You can try specifying it in your css file.

body {
background-image : url(background_url.png);
background-attachment : fixed;
background-repeat : no-repeat;
background-position : left;
}

And use <body background="background_url.png">

I also suggest you convert the image to jpg, but I have used png's as backgrounds before and IE never had a problem with it...so it's your call.

Also I don't think you should have 2 stylesheets on one page...

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
lol, yes, I realize the layout is not professional-looking or anything, but it's not supposed to be. It's just a personal site, something fun for me to do while I re-learn all the HTML I did know and learn new things.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Is there a good HTML editor that I could download for free? Money is a little tight around the holidays. Thanks. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
certainly plenty you can get a trial of, coffee cup is good.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
notepad

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
a good free fully functional web design tool for Windows is HTML-Kit, you can download it HERE

thats what I use when I'm on Windows, Be warned tho, the Gecko Engine doesn't always want to work.

Edited by Dragon, 07 December 2005 - 11:30 AM.