Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS A7V8X-X Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply

baginz

baginz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
ASUS A7V8X-X MB
BARTON 2500 CPU
TNT 64MB NVIDIA V/C
KINGSTON HYPERX PC 2700 256MB

I HAVE JUST PUT THIS SYSTEM TOGETHER,CASE LIGHTS POWER ON,HEATSINK FAN WORKS,MB STANDBY LIGHT IS ON.I CANNOT ENTER BIOS,MONITOR SHOWS NO ACTIVITY.I GET A REPEATING LOUD SINGLE ERROR BEEP.TRIED ALL MEMORY BANKS BUT5 NO GO.I AM USING RAM FROM ANOTHER SYSTEM WHICH WORKS FINE.I FORGOT TO PUT RAM BACK IN DONER CASE BEFORE STARTING AND GOT THE SAME ERROR BEEP.IS THIS A RAM ISSUE OR SOMETHING ELSE.I TRIED CLEARING THE CMOS BUT SYSTEM STILL WON'T BOOT.ANOTHER THOUGHT WAS TO TRY ANOTHER V/C.ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.......................THANK YOU

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
That beep usually indicates the system can not find usable memory but it could also be a bad video card so I would try another first.

Then if no change, remove the mobo from the case lay it on a piece of cardboard and have only, I stick of ram, video card,cpu with hsf,psu, monitor keyboard and mouse installed.

If the beep continues the mobo is bad.

Rick

baginz

baginz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: Thanks Rick,I'll head that way.I have tried another v/c and tested cpu on another mb prior to install.
I am using an anodized alluminum case with raised supports for mounting.I cannot use stand offs as there is no room for i/o backplate with them installed. I have placed paper washers on each hole and felt that the anodized coating would not cause a short. I will try the cardboard to verify. Funny thing is that when I started my working pc and had forgotten to return the ram from problem mb, the exact same beep/error occured. Im hoping that the mb just dosen't like kingston hyperX ram. This is really good memory (256mb pc2700) and should work? Thank you for your advice....................-baginz

Edited by baginz, 02 December 2005 - 08:30 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
OOps I may have misunderstood and made a mistake,,,

Are you saying you put the kingston hyperX ram in another machine and it beeped and did not boot?

If this ram will not boot another machine then the ram is bad

baginz

baginz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried placing mb on cardboard with basics hooked up...tried another cpu and v/c...only hope for mb is to try differant ram ( pc2100)..Im currently shopping and will report succsess/failure later...any other suggestions are welcome............................................Thank You & Merry Christmas to all............-:)baginz

Edited by baginz, 04 December 2005 - 07:06 PM.