Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to XP

• Please log in to reply

Duct tape dude

Duct tape dude

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I want to upgrade to XP from 98se. I did this for a couple of weeks with a borrowed from work xp pro w/sp2. I enjoyed the additional file handling capabilities and a few other features. On the downside, my machine became slower and slower and s l o w e r............
After defragging, cleaning out whatever useless crap I could find, killing as many processes as is legal in this state, and paying homage to lord gates my machine was still way too slow.
I tucked my tail, swiped the neat stonehenge desktop background, and went back to 98se.
I'd like suggestions for upgrading my hardware to be able to run xp 2005 media edition, this seems most appropriate for the stuff I do. I need to spend as little as possible, and want to get the biggest bang for my bucks.

I have a P4 1.5 gig, intel motherboard, 256 meg ram, 64mb gforce 4, sb live, 20gb 7200 rpm c drive, 80 gb 7200 rpm d drive, and 300 gb 7200 e drive.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your computer was slow because you did not have enough memory to run XP properly. This computer i'm on right now is using 223 Mb of ram to only see this webpage and have no other programs running. What was happening to you was your page file was getting used a lot and that was slowing you down. I have run Xp on a H-P vectra 1 gig cpu puter without problems except it was slow at games. I had 512 MB of ram in the puter.

Heres a website on the media center edition of XP. You decide for yourself if its worth it.

http://www.winsupers...mediacenter.asp

SRX660

Duct tape dude

Duct tape dude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
After reading about xp media center I guess I'm not going that route...I just saw word "media" and thought I'd get additional functionality for the plethora of home videos I have converted to mpgs, and the many gigs of music ripped from albums, tapes, & CDs (and yes, a few sucked from Napster...back in the day). It appears that buying a PC with a lot of horsepower might get me this, albeit buggy, and a really expensive video card to do HD if I just wanted to leave it in the family room and password my wife out of it (this would ensure my quick demise).
I already have tvo, don't really care about putting tv shows on my pc, so I guess I'm back to upgrading to regular home edition xp. Thanks for suggesting upgrading memory, that's usually the first bullet out of the gun when dealing with windows, so here I go to pricewatch.com ....

I'm just such a geezer about pc's. They need a forum here called "retirement home" where we old codgers could go and commiserate about the death of DOS and the world and all it's memory being consumed by Windows...