Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP and Jave 1.5.0.6 update

• Please log in to reply

dt98rmb

dt98rmb

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well I did the update yesterday, and since, my computer has been acting very weird, explorer doesn't respond, I can't open my computer all the time and can't open folders etc.

Clicking on Start and then on any program causes the start bar to hang and stay on the screen.

Shutting down takes forever, and things in general have been rather sluggish, saying things like Ccapp?, Run*32.dll end task, and on other files, which I'll try to note down if any of this makes sense :tazz:

Hope someone can help :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you uninstall update 5 first

dt98rmb

dt98rmb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Did you uninstall update 5 first

Nope, didn't do that...but I have since gone and installed all previous updates and reinstalled the latest update, and it hasn't fixed the problem.

The computer boots up okay and seems to work okay until I use something explorer related, start bar sometime hangs and going through my computer for instance, but as soon as I ctrl/alt/del explorer, the puter seems okay, well using FF, Trillian, just can't then use explorer to open files etc, which is a bit of a chore.

When I shut down, it tends to either stutter on explorer or rundll32.exe...I'm starting to think it might be something bad, but I don't want to do a format and reinstall of windows...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

You will still have the option to repair XP which leaves the data alone

dt98rmb

dt98rmb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes
You will still have the option to repair XP which leaves the data alone

I did the first part, wasn't asked for a reboot, but I take it I'll have to do a windows xp repair then?

Doesn't that wipe the windows update and such?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Repair will remove the windows updates

The current data and settings will remain

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

dt98rmb

dt98rmb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Eeek...I think I'll see if I can figure out this streamlined XP cd first...might be easier than having all those updates again *l*

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated :tazz: