Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer doesnt boot

• Please log in to reply

Jack Doobie

Jack Doobie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
last saturday i came home, my computer screen was grey...i figured that my monitor was acting up or something...so i checked the wires and all....my room mate told me she herd a beeping...i left it there because i was going to my parents house for the wekeend, when icame back....i turned on my computer and it worked...for about 2 hours.....i went into my room to get a blank cd and came back my monitor was black and the light was orange...so i turned it back on and it had the grey screen again

it`s not the monitor because my cd drive doesnt open when i try to open it...nothing bootd up, jsut the grey screen, usualy my computer emits a couple of beeps at the start up...but not even that.....
anybody got any help?

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Your battery is probably dead.

Open the computer case, and look on the Motherboard for a battery... usually round, kynda like a watch battery, but about the size of a quarter.

Go to Radio Shack or something, and see if you can't get another one like it, and replace it, and try booting again.

The computer should work after this.

Jack Doobie

Jack Doobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
alright
i know what your talkign about....im gonna go and see if i can find the same battery
i`ll re-post if it doesnt work
thanks for that

Jack Doobie

Jack Doobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
no....it didnt work....changed the battery and nothing happened..

anybdoy else got any ideas?

Jack Doobie

Jack Doobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
anybody?

jpro

jpro

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
try checking psu. DONT OPEN IT UP though. :tazz:

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
PSU is short for power supply, correct?

Cause power supply's my next idea too.

Jack Doobie

Jack Doobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
anybody that works for geeks to go could help me out???
i kinda need the stuff that`s on my computer...i dont want to wait for weeks just to end up sending it to a shop to fix it....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a desktop or a latpop?
could you give us all your system specs?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The beeping you heard the other day was probably a bios monitor going off. The bios monitors voltages and temps. If you can somehow power up the computer... if you're lucky enoungh... and enter the bios... even briefly... you may be able to check the motherboard voltages and temps.

To enter the bios, you need to repeatedly press the Delete key on your keyboard as the computer is booting up. Once in the bios screen, you will need to navigate the menus until you find where the Power/Temps are being monitored. Award bios normally calls this screen PC Health.

As I said, if you're lucky enough to be able to do this, you might be able to troubleshoot this easier. If not, then probably your power supply or your motherboard needs to be checked out. There are other things you can also do, like reseating your processor, reseating your ram, your pci cards, etc. You can try these things also before having to take you computer into a repair shop.

Edited by makai, 05 December 2005 - 12:28 PM.

Jack Doobie

Jack Doobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i dont knwo much of teh specs inside my computer of the top of my head...
i know it`s 1.4 ghz and 556 mb ram....windows xp desktop

i tired connecting another monitor to it and all it had was a black screen...when i d/c the monitor from the tower, the monitor was sitll on and the screen turned to grey, like a monitor that`s on but the tower isnt...
i tried to plug it back in and it showed a black screen, and when i pulled it out it gave the grey screen again...

i duno if that helps anything..?

my computer doesnt even beep.....i cant get into bios....

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No beeps could mean many things. Bad motherboard, corrupted bios, bad power supply, ram, etc. Do any of the fans spin up when you power on? How about the Power indication led on the front of the computer? Does it turn on. I guess what I'm trying to find out is if you might have a bad power supply.

Jack Doobie

Jack Doobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
fans turn yeah
it sounds like it`s gonna power up as usual...just without the beeps..
the light turns on too

Edited by Jack Doobie, 05 December 2005 - 01:00 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, just because the fans spin and lights show up doesn't necessarily mean the powersupply is good.

During boot up, the bios runs certain checks of ram, vidcard, processor, keyboard,ect. If all check ok, then you here a beep and the computer continues booting. If you're not getting any beeps, then it could be anything from a bad power supply to a bad motherboard, processor... etc.

You may have better luck just taking it in to a shop for evaluation. It's going to be expensive, but it would be quicker than trying to troubleshoot it here.

Jack Doobie

Jack Doobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
alrite...i guess im gonna have to