Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems installing an Adaptec AFW-4300 FireWire Adapter

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hello,

I've recently purchased a Adaptec AFW-4300 FireWire Adapter. I spoke with the people at BestBuy, and they said that if I had XP, that XP should recognize the new hardware immediately when you start your computer back up. Well, I have tried two different slots for this, and nothing has come up. Am I missing something here? I've checked for driver updates on adaptec.com and microsoft.com.

Also, the software disc that comes with this firewire port adapter doesn't really do anything. All it installs is Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0, which I had already.

I don't know, I've tried everything, Windows Device Manager, Add New Hardware, checking online for updates and drivers -- I even have a friend who has a firewire adapter similar to this one and even HE said that it should recognize it. He said that certain slots might be different colors (as per being for a specific type of slot, audio only, for example, however, I have slots that are uncolored, and I believe the audio one is taken up already). I've restarted a bunch of times. It's very irritating. It's so anti-climactic - like - "Hey! I just got something for my computer! .. Ahhhhh........ Doesn't Work... Great..... $45 Bucks down the tubes."

Well, I've asked you guys stuff before, and you've always helped me fix whatever problem I had. So I have extreme faith in your abilities as pure geniuses. If you could help me fix this it all, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
Daniel Maloney

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

maybe it is a bad card, Xp should indeed recognize it on bootup.
The only other thing I can think of is if your unused pci slots are disabled in bios (if your bios has this option) so you should check this before returning the card.

My guess to why the software disk does not have any drivers on it would be because windows contains the needed drivers for the card

Rick

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
AFW-4300 FireWire Adapter
3rd DEC-2005

Hi – I was helping you before – [OCT-11] – On a Keyboard Issue –
Do you still have [Device Manager] prepped to [View Non Present Devices] (??)

Open [Device Manager] in Normal manner & Set [VIEW] options to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES]

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Now Browse thru – you need to Expand Folders & either Left Double Click or Right Click all lines to see more info – you are now looking for the – [Muted/faded gray] Devices and any Yellow Warning Signs or have a Bold repeated instance of same name –

If you do have a faded gray instance & bold instance – That is indicating that either 2 Drivers are installed or you have some remains of a previous Driver –

Do you see any Entries on IEEE 1394 Devices – If you do Double Click to Expand – How many [Instances] of [Non Present Devices] appear – Also are there any [Unknown Devices] or Devices with [Yellow Warning Signs] –

The Drivers should have been embedded in – [Windows XP – Service Pack 1 or 2] – If [Device Manager] shows IEEE 1394 – Open Host Controller/s & say [Device is working OK] – Is this what you see (??) –

Next –

Verify Bios Setting in [PnP / PCI Configurations] Section:
1- That Plug & Play is [Enabled]
2- That [Resources Controlled by] is set to [AUTO]

– Here is a another good tool – to analyze your PC with –

Download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] so we can analyze your PC – IEEE Capabilities -
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps to obtain 3 [REPORTS] – from these – will be able to answer IEEE Issues & suggestions better – Use the [HTML-Quick Report] – and [ATTACH] these 3 separate Attachments in your return Post – Do not try to use Text or [Cut & Paste] – These Reports will be LONG & Forum will truncate your POST to 25 pages – The HTML version will make a smaller Attachment -

Report-1: [Hysteria-CPU-1]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Hysteria 1-CPU-1] & attach to POST

Report –2: [Hysteria -Mobo-1]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Hysteria -Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 :[ Hysteria -Devices-1]

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [Hysteria -Devices-1] & attach to Post

[EVEREST] will assist you in evaluating your PC of motherboard – Chipset – IEEE Capability

Thanks-
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 05 December 2005 - 09:51 PM.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay guys,

First of all, I'd like to thank you very much for helping me.

Under System Devices, Jack, you asked me to check for a few things:

1. I did not have any grey/bold/yellow warning signs.
2. I did not have any "entries on IEEE 1394 Devices" :tazz:
3. And when I looked for [PnP / PCI Configurations], There was no specific main tab for it. Actually there are 2 sections that sound like PnP / PCI Config.

Under the section called "System Devices" there is a little bit of information called "Plug and Play Software Device Emulator" - I checked, and there are no driver updates for that one.

Also under the main tab called "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" I couldn't find anything relating to what you were asking (even though that should be obvious due to it's name of NON-plug and play etc. etc.)

I was however able to download that program and do the reports as you asked. So I have attached them to this post.

I will be waiting for your reply instructions. Thank you!

-Dan

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
AFW-4300 FireWire Adapter-(#2)
3rd DEC-2005

Can you create a new [Device] Report – Appears the Motherboard Report was attached twice with different names – Make sure that you [Expand] the [Device Folder] & then Click on it to Highlight the [Device Folder]

How many of your 5 PCI Card Slots are you using – The Motherboard Report showed 5 Slots – but did not indicate any being used (??) – Also is your Video Card an Onboard Motherboard Video Device –

Browse thru your BIOS – See if you can locate something on PnP and /or PCI setup that will [Enable] either PnP and/or PCI Cards – I am running WIN2K Professional – so I cannot simulate exact conditions –

You can try to [Uninstall] the IEEE 1394 Device – Using [Safe Mode] by using [Device Manager] - & then try Reinstalling it again - but 1st – Temporarily Turn off – [Firewall] and [Antivirus] Programs-

[Installation Process] can [Fail] – If the New Device’s File is being scanned during its installation – [Device Manager] recognizes it but PnP does not –

By using [Safe Mode] – The Firewall & Antivirus programs are not started – But you can still open [Device Manager] & expand the IEEE 1394 Folders to Uninstall the Driver – Otherwise trying to Uninstall a file while it is being [Scanned] will leave remnants of the file and Disable/Block the Uninstalling Process –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 05 December 2005 - 09:52 PM.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hey Jack,

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "BIOS" - I have looked in device manager (even clicking "Action" and "Scan for Hardware Changes") and found nothing. I am slightly hesitant to do the Safe Mode, just because I don't know how to uninstall/install something if nothing's popping up. :tazz: ... :)

I'm also not sure what you mean by trying to uninstall a file while "it's scanning" in the last part of your post. What is scanning? A program? I'm just kinda confused and spacy right now, it's been a long day.

However, in response to how many PCI slots I have, I was able to take apart my computer again and take some photographs for you, showing exactly what we are dealing with here, and giving you a better idea (or a face even) to what we're looking at. I'm assuming that I am using three, because there are 2 open slots. I say assuming because I'm not sure if they are working or not, because they won't recognize the new Firewire Card. I suggested to a friend that maybe I should take something from one of the other slots and try it in the currently empty ones, but they said that would be a bad idea..

Anyways, here are the pictures! They would probably be too big for this post, so here are the links (4 pics):

Picture #1
Picture #2
Picture #3
Picture #4

My Firewire card is currently installed in that last available slot there, whereas it was in the other open one the last time.

I've also attached the New Devices Report, as per requested - Tell me if you get it okay.

Thanks!
Daniel

*Edit* - Oh, and about the Video card being on the MotherBoard, I am not sure. I'm assuming it would be. I believe it's working fine, my computer runs pretty nicely.

Attached Files

Edited by hysteria, 06 December 2005 - 06:01 PM.