Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer help please

• Please log in to reply

bestwic_8

bestwic_8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, can someone please help me with my computer its really slow. I've done tons of ad-ware and spy-ware scans and theres no differece. Theres plenty of space left. Not many programs running during start up or when its running. Someone please help me out!!!!
thanks

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Hello, can someone please help me with my computer its really slow. I've done tons of ad-ware and spy-ware scans and theres no differece. Theres plenty of space left. Not many programs running during start up or when its running. Someone please help me out!!!!
thanks

There are a TON of reasons why a computer may be running slow... start up programs, spyware, hardware, ram, too much temp/temporary internet trash, fragged up drive... the list is endless.

If your computer is running so much slower than it used to, and you haven't any spyware, then it's probably some maintenance action you need to take, like emptying your temp/temp internet folder files, and defragging your hard drive.

However, my recommendation is you start HERE and run through the list and follow the recommendations. Then if things appear that you need further help, post in the Malware Forum and ask for help. Once you are given a clean bill of health, come back to this thread if your speed problems still persist.

jpro

jpro

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Back it up and Reload it :tazz: :)

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Back it up and Reload it :tazz: :)

I would follow makai advice.

If it's malware, many people manage to reinfect themselves when they restore all their precious files. So backups and restores are less effective than one might think. Plus if your system backups include infected files that you dont know about, the backup wont work.

With regard to windows system restore, that method reassures people that their precious data files wont be touched. But its the same issue - some malware hides in peoples data files, so if you dont really clean it out, the restore doesnt really help.

I'm a firm believer in making backups on a regular basis, and even storing some of those backups off site
on removable media. Making a backup after youve gotten yourself in trouble is almost silly.

Making a backup now, and restoring from that backup would be an absolute last ditch effort with maybe a 3% chance of success. And in terms of fixing this particular problem, maybe a 1% chance. Too many other possiblities.

Follow makai advice. Only reformat and reload if a staff member suggests it.

jpro - welcome to geeks to go, thanks for trying to help out, but you might want to spend some time reading posts around here especially by the staff to get an idea of how we handle things. Restoring from backups is a last ditch effort around here, and there are thousands of threads on the internet where people are complainig that their backup and restore didnt fix their problem. I realize you might have been joking with the smiley faces, but believe it or not some people will follow that advice. this particular victim may not. But thousands of folks may end up viewing this thread from Google over the years, and some will take your advice seriously. If that was serious advice, I've got to take issue with it.

Just because God gave you 10 fingers and two eyes doesn't mean you should type five times more than you read :) Read other posts here; theres lots of good information available here.

Best regards,

EMCguy