Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp wont start up says disk boot failure

• Please log in to reply

ang27871

ang27871

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
when i start up my computer it says disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter... but my xp edition didn't come with start up disks. i tried pressing f10 to go into system recovery from start up but nothing happens. when i press f1 it will enter set up menu... i looked through some stuff and it does recognize my hard drive but for some reason won't boot. the key board works properly becuae i switched it out w/ my sisters. i have no idea what is going on. i usually don't shut off my computer but did becuase i rearranged my room. i am assuming i got a virus that didn't go into effect until/ upon reboot. is there any steps i can take before doing a system recovery? and if not then how can i do a system recovery if the f10 key wont take me there and my comp didn't come with disks? i tried calling hp but they want to charge me $45 just to talk to an tech support guy becuase my computer is out of warranty.
extremely fustrated,
ang
ps. i am accessing the internet through my mac ibook laptop.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ang27871...

First, have you tried to start the machine in Safe Mode? Press the F8 key repeatedly during the boot sequence. Once at the Options Screen, select the "Last known good configuration" option and press "Enter". Does this start your machine?

If not, download the Boot Disk Set from Microsoft (links are about halfway down the page...be sure to get the set for your operating system) and create the set. This will require 6 floppy diskettes. We can then try the Recovery Console to get you machine running.

wannabe1

ang27871

ang27871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
nope, nothing happens....the computer just make a spin noise in the cd drive, then goes to the same disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter.
ang

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ang27871...

I'm assuming two things here...1) That the CD-ROM drive is empty, and 2) that you have a floppy drive that also contains no diskette.

Go ahead and download the Bootdisk Set I suggested in my last post and create the bootdisk set. Post back when you have the Bootdisks ready and we'll move on...

wannabe1

ang27871

ang27871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok, i don't have any floppies and need to pick some up. i also may not be albe to do this for another couple of hours. i'll get back to you asap.
thanks for your help.
ang

ang27871

ang27871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
since my computer is down, i can't download from it. microsoft requires validation and my lap top is an apple, and my sister has a dell laptop too. it seems as though i need to order it online. and will take a couple of days. is there anything i can do mean while?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ang27871...

You should be abel to download these files from any machine running Windows using Internet Explorer...If your sister's machine has Windows on it, download to her machine and create the floppys on her computer...

wannabe1

ang27871

ang27871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i tried i couldn't do it. it keep telling me that my floppy wasn't large enough, even after i downloaded to her harddrive, i didn't know what i was doing, so i just order the disks, they'll be here in three days.

ang27871

ang27871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok, i finally go the recovery cd's i changed the bios to boot from the cdrom, and inserted the cd, but nothing is happening, now it is telling me..." press a key to reboot"...and when i press a key it reboots the cd begins to spin for about 3 seconds then it says... "non-system disk or disk error, press any key to continue"..... so i press any key and it takes me back to "press a key to reboot"...... please tell me i'm doing something wrong.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ang27871...

Is the cd you ordered the OEM Recovery cd? If it is, try putting the cd in the drive, shutting the computer off, and then turning it back on. If this doesn't start the recovery disk, post back....

Here is a Mirosoft guide for using Recovery Console.

wannabe1

ang27871

ang27871

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yes they are oem cds, i ordered it from HP. but no, that does not work...still is giving me the same message as my last post. do you think that there is something in the bios that i can change to get it started?, or should i just take it in to get fixed?