Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with my computer

• Please log in to reply

jtranchita

jtranchita

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have windows xp and when ever I open Internet Explorer, msn explorer opens as well. MSN explorer also opens up when I go to other web sites while using IE or when a click on a hypertext. If anyone knows how to fix this problem please let me know. I am not very computer literate and could use some help.

Thanks

Advertisements

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
sounds like the MSN Explorer is set as the default browser. In Internet Explorer, click the Tools link at the top, then Internet Options.... then the Programs tab, and click the Reset Web Settings.

You can then see if that fixed the problem. You might have to remove the MSN Browser entirely... you can do that by going to the Control Panel and choosing Add And Remove Programs, then the Add And Remove Windows Components button on the bottom left, and remove MSN Explorer in the popup box that comes up. Warning though, if something else is relying on the MSN browser to come up, removing it could pose a problem until you find what program is calling MSN Explorer, so only remove it if setting IE as the default browser keeps it from coming up. If you happen to be ON msn, then the dialing software itself probably resets the msn browser to the default.