Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem not working correctly

• Please log in to reply

beckyandkerry

beckyandkerry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Suddenly when I tried to connect to compuserve via modem, things scrolled crazily and I got a message that it basically could not connect.

My computer specs are: Toshiba laptop
xp home edition
toshiba softare modem type pci\ven_8086&dev_24D&subsys_00011179&rev_02\3&61AAA01&0&Fe
processor type is x86family 15 model 2 stepping genuniune Intel 2797Mhz
Compuserve version is 7.0
512 K memory

When I check in device manager, nothing looks wrong but checking there and in system information, com 3 is not listed. When I query the modem, the message is that
The Port the modem is attached to could not be opened. This may be the result of hardware conflict.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Go to the control panel and click on Phone and Modem Options... click the Modems tab and see if your modem is listed there... highlight it, then click the properties button. On that screen, click the Resources tab. Does is say 'No Conflicts' in the bottom box?

You can also click the Diagnostics tab and query the modem, I assume you've done that, though.

Let me know if you have a no conficts report on the resources tab, and give me the irq number it lists

beckyandkerry

beckyandkerry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The modem querry gives the response that the com port 3 cannot be accessed and it might be due to a hardware conflict but the modem properties does not say anything about a problem with the modem.