Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

maxtor HD clicking

• Please log in to reply

Darth_Hatter

Darth_Hatter

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a maxtor 200gb ata133 hard drive in a usb enclosure and lately when i try to transfer files or open movies off of it you can hear it spin then does this clicking sound and the led on the usb enclosure turn off then on again and it does it again, every so often. is it just the hard drive that is messed up or is it the usb enclosure that could be causing it?

thanks
bob

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. It is most likely the hd. It may be trying to tell you something...like it is about to die? You may want to recover any data you would like to keep. You could run the manufacturer's diagnositics program to check out the hd. Go to http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40
Sticky post at the top has links to most manufacturer's diagnostics.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i agree...the drive is probably on it's way out...but...if you just put this drive into the enclosure....you may want tomake sure you didn't tighten the screws too tightly...(longshot...but...ya never know)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah as long as you back up what you want to keep you will be fine, some dirves just naturally develop that clicking noise for some reason and will continue to run fine for years others will die inside a week, just one of those things.

Darth_Hatter

Darth_Hatter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thank you for the quick response, im going to run the diagnostic program and if it is bad try to get it replaced.

thanks again :tazz:

Darth_Hatter

Darth_Hatter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
well ive been busy but just now i took the drive out of the usb enclosure and replaced my cd drive with the HD and it works fine in the case so it must be the enclosure

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Maybe just a loose screw or something, drives do vibrate alot and they rotate at high speed so any imperfections on the disk wont cause the drive to fail but the irregualr surface can cause vibration and the vibration can loosen everything up and result in noise and the drives not working properly, if you put it back in the drive you might no get the sound back at all.