Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

17" LCD monitor

• Please log in to reply

magneto_ms

magneto_ms

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi all, i am planning to buy a new 17" lcd. With the budget i have which is about 300$ or so, i am going for the samsung syncmaster 713n. I do a lot of graphics work which includes web graphic design. I definitely hope this model (and lcds in general) are not as bad to work on for graphic professionals as some people say..(?)

More doubts: when i checked the model details it says the native resolution is 1280x1024. Now i haven't yet worked on any resolution greater than 1024x768. Won't the text and menu items be really small to make out in 1280 x 1024?

Also if i have to occasionally switch down to a lower resolution (say 800x600) for gaming would it look too crappy?

I have a geforce 4mx 440 64mb graphics card. Will i have any compatibility issues for working with this monitor.?

Thanx :tazz:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have a samsung 914v monitor. Right now i am running it at 1024 x 768(full screen). What i notice is flat panels seem to have brighter colors than CRT monitors. I also had to increase the text size slightly(2 sizes up) to get clear text. When i do graphics work on my CRT monitors and if i'm doing closeup work, my eyes will start to water and i need to stop for a while. With the TFT monitor i do not have this problem. i did not like playing games with the nvidia 440 card so i switched to a fx 5200 128mb video card for better motion. Even with calibration of the monitor some games just have crappy colors. I think its the games.

I calibrate all my monitors with pictures taken from this website.

http://www.normankor...tml#Calibration

hope this helps,
SRX660

Josh Nansoz

Josh Nansoz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

More doubts: when i checked the model details it says the native resolution is 1280x1024. Now i haven't yet worked on any resolution greater than 1024x768. Won't the text and menu items be really small to make out in 1280 x 1024?

when you say your into graphics and the like wouldnt you want the smallest it can go? the picture quality increases and you can fit more onto the screen. but no it is not too small, i personaly work at 1600x(what ever it is)
now thats quite small, it could go 2 the 2000xsomething but i feel that is toooo small

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
like srx said..you can just increase the text size for the menus and all that jazz to compensate for the higher resolution....as you know..the higher the resolution...the better your picture's gonna look..

magneto_ms

magneto_ms

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yep thanx, i guess i would get the text size up.... But anybody on similiar lcds know whether i would get crappy images when i shift to 800x600 for some games(which do not allow me to play on anything higher)..?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It will look crap but only because 800x600 is a really poor resolution and any game that can only play that will look crappy in the first place, i have the 19" version of the samsung monitor and its fantastic, increasing the resolution makes everything look sharper which is what you want, i find anything below 1280x1024 annoyingly large and grainy.

Next upgrade i would reccomend a new gfx card if you do gaming and graphic editing, then new cards can do some amazingly cool things.