Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC repair after Power Burn

• Please log in to reply

tkl

tkl

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi all,
I've PC after a power supply burn out...
After replacing PSU, HDD with a new one (EuroCase 350W ATX, WD Caviar 22500), PC doesn't start. No beeps... Monitor doesn't turn on (no signal, it's properly connected to the power, monitor is OK-checked with diff. PC); CPU fan is ON, CD tray can be opened... Graphics & RAM checked in another PC -> working.
I've tried to boot with minimal configuration (just RAM, Graphics, CPU) -> Monitor doesn't turn on again.
After a long time (hours) it has once succesfuly booted (using min. config.). After shut down the PC it doesn't started again... (I've tried to boot again with exactly same configuration many times but it doesn't boot-monitor doesn't turn on). Today I came home and it booted once... i shut it down and then again nothing, monitor doesn't turn on again...

18:07: after few hours untouched it succesfuly booted again... i tried restart it -> succes booted again. I tried to shut it down to connect working HDD -> boot fails = Monitor doesn't turn on....

Configuration:
MB: ?working? VIA KT133 (AWARD BIOS)
PSU: working (new) EuroCase 350W (ATX, MODEL 350X) {old 200W BURNED}
CPU: ?working? Duron (Unknown Freq)
RAM: working 128 SD RAM (@133MHz) {+ BURNED 64 SD RAM (@100MHz)}
HDD: working WD Caviar 22500 {old BURNED}
Graphic Card: working InnoVision Tornado TNT2 64

Thx for your help and advices....
tkl

Edited by tkl, 05 December 2005 - 01:51 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try booting it without the ram installed...do y ou get a beep?

tkl

tkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
it's 18:22 here and I got no beep after booting with no RAM

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this is currently just an educated guess....but you may have burned more than the PSU....

you say the ram works in a diff machine right?
and the Video card works in a diff machine?

...let's try one more thing...(longshot)...before we assume the MOBO is cooked...

unplug the machine, open up the case...and take out the CMOS battery...hold the power button in for about 5 seconds..put the battery back in...plug it into the wall..and try to start the machine up again...without the ram installed...do you get a beep now?

also...physically inspect your motherboard...do you see any bulging capasitors? scorching?

tkl

tkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
-tried... no beep (i've already tried to reset BIOS by jumpers)
no physical demage (no bulged capsitors etc) (front side of MB checked)
-RAM+Video checked in diff working PC (now I've 3PCs here 1 working + 1 working similar to the burned one + 1 burned)
-my teacher told me it could be burned disk controller...

Edited by tkl, 05 December 2005 - 11:50 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's a good chance your motherboard got tanked....or the cpu...you say you have another machine similar to the one that is not working....would it be possible to try the cpu from that one in the burned one? if they are compatible...

also...it would be a good idea to remove your icq number...not a good idea to post that kind of info on an open forum

tkl

tkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
they're compatible (socket A)
what is safer? to put possibly demaged procesor into good MB or good CPU to possibly demaged MB?
(working PC similar to defected isn't mine...)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if the one that's working...isn't yours...i wouldn't attempt the processor switch....it would theoretically be safe to switch the processors over and test...but...if it's not your machine...it's not worth the risk

tkl

tkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Do you have an idea why computer boots if it isn't in use (not turned on) for few hours. It succesfully booted "after few hours of no use"! (i've checked CPU temperature in BIOS and it was about 24°C, second temp was 27°C {while was the PC running})
thanks for help
tkl

Edited by tkl, 05 December 2005 - 12:23 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so if you don't run the machine for a while....then it will boot up normally?

Advertisements

tkl

tkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
that "a while" is about 3-4 hours
and yes then it normally boot up (it succesfully booted: 2x in minimal configuration +1x with not bootable HDD)
( + sorry for my English :tazz: )

Edited by tkl, 05 December 2005 - 12:33 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....sounds like something is over heating....but...don't know what....
can you get into bios and see what all the temps are....and if it shows your voltages...could you post tthose as well

by the way...your english is fine...hadn't noticed that it wasn't your first language

tkl

tkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I still remember temps+voltages from 18:07:
CPU 24°C
Other temps: 27°C
CPU fan: ~5000 RPM
Voltages (with new[working] PSU):
12V: 12.20V
5V: 5.02V
3.3V: 3.33V

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the voltages seem fine....and the temps...seem ok...though...it could be misreporting...or it could be the PSU over heating...

tkl

tkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i tried to find the place where is the MB overheating (to feel the heat by warm air upon it, i touched passives and it seemed OK)...
PSU is completly new and it was bought on saturday (PSU EuroCase 350X overheating? i don't think: PSU fan work ( r=12cm :tazz: ) -> and it's extremly quiet....

Edited by tkl, 05 December 2005 - 12:53 PM.