Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC repair after Power Burn

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and that's what's puuzzeling...is that...you seem to have text book overheating issues (i.e...the machine will work perfectly after it's "rested" for an hour or more....then crap out again after use...)...is your processor fan turning on?

Advertisements

tkl

tkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes, its running next to my left leg...
it was very difficult to put out the passive cooling looked like it was glued to it... but it could be just a paste

Edited by tkl, 05 December 2005 - 01:17 PM.

tkl

tkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
after only 30min i've tried to change the Video Card to definitelly working one and it BEEPed once -> I hadn't put back the memory, then i shut down and put memory in... then tried to boot and nothing again...

Edited by tkl, 05 December 2005 - 01:39 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Based on what you have said, I would personally suspect the power supply. While the old power supply might have damaged the machine, that would not explain why it would work of sitting powered up for several hours. You could check to see what the voltages are from the power supply, if you have a meter. This will help, but it will not tell you if the power is clean.

The first thing I would try is to replace the power supply and see if it works. Don't assume that just because the power supply is new that it is working correctly.

tkl

tkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No, the PSU is working OK... checked with different PC + different PSU makes the same
(Rem: With the new one or with different I still can always open CD tray etc... if there is no signal on monitor it's the same)

Edited by tkl, 07 December 2005 - 03:06 PM.