Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still want to format c:

• Please log in to reply

John Rickert

John Rickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
It is my zip drive. I put a drive into it and sure enough it shows the contents.

Have I done something wrong in the fdisk part? I thought I removed all partitions etc.

I don't have a problem with the drive designations as long as I am not headed for a problem down the line.

John

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you shouldn't be heading for a problem..but let's see what we can do...

go ahead and leave the media in the zip drive and go back to disk management...does the zip drive show up now?

John Rickert

John Rickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yep. I see the following:

F:

PLAYDISC (D:)

ZIP-100 (C:) Partition Basic FAT Healthy (Active) 96 MB 6 MB 6% NO 0%

Note: I have the Diablo PLay disk in the CD Drive

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on the zip drive in disk managment....you should see a selection for drive letter assignment....change it from c to g

then right click on the f drive...and do the same thing but change it to c...

then change g to e

John Rickert

John Rickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Changing C: to G: went fine.

But when I right clicked on F: and said change it to C: I got a message saying "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You can't change the drive letter on the active partition as that is where the boot.ini file is located..

You had your Zip Drive hooked up when you installed XP didn't you??

That's where your problem occured..

There is no problem having XP recognize your active partition as a different drive letter.. Most people just get accustomed to it being c: drive..

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 06 December 2005 - 12:58 PM.

John Rickert

John Rickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
My zip drive is internal so I guess it was hooked up. I kind of like having all my drives show up at the top of the explore menu. If there is no problem having F: be my harddrive then so be it.

I'm just happy to be up and running again.

Is there anything else you would suggest or should I just go ahead and install my virus checker, adware remover, spyware s/w etc.?

Again, thanks a bunch. What a great service. By the way, where have I dialed into? I am in Oregon.

John

John Rickert

John Rickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I just ran Adware Se and it said I had 6 problems. Something about Alena (sp). Are these real or are they just trying to sell me the program?

John

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Oh man.. You should have stayed offline until you had an av program, firewall, etc installed.. You are already infected..

Suggest you head over to the Malware Forum, follow the instructions there and get your system cleaned up right quickly!!

Murray

John Rickert

John Rickert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Since I have an older Win XP and probably need tons of updates, is there a way to purchase a CD or updates so I don't have to spend hours downloading?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You can go to the Microsoft website and order the SP2 cd from them.. But, get your system cleaned out before you install it!!

Murray