Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB problems

• Please log in to reply

Barrysocool2

Barrysocool2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I try to load music from my computer to my mp3 player or doing webcam with someone else the usb port just crashes. The ports work fine for the first couple of minutes after my computer starts up, after that all the ports cant detect anything. This is really getting annoying so i hope you guys can help me find a fix to this. Thanks for your time to read through this :woot: :P :tazz: :) :) :woot: :woot:

Advertisements

tinsky

tinsky

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have seen usb ports go bad. NO to say that this is necessarily the case but a quick fix would be to buy an usb pci card. That may be an obvious fix but it may cost you more time to troubleshoot the issue when it is all said and done.

Other things you could try would be to uninstall the USB ports in device manager then scan for hardware changes and have the PC reinstall them. You could also reinstall the usb ports by choosing a directory and downloading fresh drivers for your ports.

Other questions to consider are :

Do the devices work fine on other usb ports and/or can you plug the devices into another computers USB ports and have them work fine?

Hope this helps!

Tinsky

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
USB Problems
5th DEC-2005

Oh yes USB Issues – Give me some details of your [System] & [USB Devices]:

1- How many USB Ports does your system have
2- Give MFG & Model # of all USB Peripherals and devices
3- Do you have any USB Hubs – If yes How Many – MFG & Model #
4- For System Info – Download the FREE Home Edition of [EVEREST] & Attach –3 [HTML Quick Reports] per the following instructions – These reports should contain answers to your System Questions -

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps to obtain 3 [REPORTS] – from these – will be able to answer USB Issues & offer suggestions - http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Use the[ATTACHMENT] feature to POST with – Using Text or [Cut & Paste] will only create huge reports that will be truncated by the Forum – and will create an extremely long Post – By attaching 3 smaller items – will make the reading/analyzing effort more manageable –

Report-1: [Barry-CPU-1]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Barry –Summary-1] & attach to POST

Report –2: [Barry -Mobo-1]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder-[Main Folder] not the [Sub Folder]
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Barry -Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 :[ Barry -Devices-1]

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [Barry -Devices-1] & attach to Post

[EVEREST] will assist you in evaluating your PC of motherboard – Chipset – USB Capability

If you can – Try to give me – The Order – in which you installed these USB Devices – There are a lot of [Anomalies] associated with USB Devices & they occur as your USB Quantity increases and/or as USB Complexity increases – They are initiated by [In Rush Currents] – [Race Problems] during [Windows Startup] – Oscillations during Connectivity – Some USB Devices have the maximum current draw & must be connected to PC thru a [Self Powered] HUB – Which in themselves are a source of problems – Also certain USB Chipsets have certain inherent problems – and sometimes it is the [Installation] of a [Windows Update] and/or Service Pack Update – Or a Hardware Upgrade – that may highlight a USB problem –

The easiest way out – often is the addition of [Expansion PCI USB Cards] and using USB Hubs – The problem is in the sharing of the [PC Resources] and Bandwidth Sharing – There is no [One Simple Cure All] Process – I can look over your Issues – and offer some suggestions & tips and help you rearrange your USB community and help with USB Management -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 05 December 2005 - 09:53 PM.