Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Canon Elura 50 camcorder not recognized by XP

• Please log in to reply

skemsley

skemsley

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Canon Elura 50 DV camcorder that I am trying to connect to my HP tc4200 (convertible tablet) laptop using a third-party firewire card. I've inserted the card and it is recognized by XP. When I plug in the camcorder, however, XP does not detect a new device. If I search for a new device in "Add New Hardward" from the Control Panel, it still doesn't find it.

I've used this same card and camera on a different computer running Windows 2000, and it works fine.

With this camcorder, I know that I have to set "AV->DV OUT" to "ON" (which is not the default) in the "VCR SET UP" menu in order to export DV, which I have done.

Any suggestions on how to get XP to recognize the camcorder? I've unplugged and replugged the firewire card and the camcorder itself, powered the camcorder off and back on, and rebooted Windows, to no avail.

TIA,
sandy

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Canon Elura 50 DV camcorder
6th Dec-2005

Hi- Welcome to [Geeks to Go] Forum

1st - Open [DEVICE MANAGER] –

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – On [Drop Down Menu ] > Open [PROPERTIES] Page
(3) – Click [HARDWARE] TAB
(4) – Click on [DEVICE MANAGER] Tab
(5) – Browse thru [Device Manager] –

Do the following with [Camcorder] Connected & Disconnected:

Expand the IEEE 1394 Folder/s & Open IEEE 1394 Host Controllers – [Report back what is shown] – Next See if any [Unknown Devices] are present/shown or if any [Yellow Warning Signs] are attached to any entries or if any Entries relating to a Camcorder is shown – [Report back what is shown] –

Next –

Have you checked your BIOS setting –in [POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP] Section for [ACPI] - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface –

[A power management specification developed by Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft that makes hardware status information available to the operating system. ACPI enables a PC – [to turn its peripherals ON and OFF] –for improved power management especially in portables.] –

[Disable] this setting – It may be preventing [PnP] = (Plug & Play) – From [Finding New Hardware] by shutting down the IEEE 1394 Card when Camcorder is connected -

Then Power Up & [Connect the Camcorder] & see if [New Hardware is found] - & Installs Camcorder –

Try these items 1st – In the meantime I will research PC & Camcorder – and you can Post me info on IEEE 1394 Firewire Card so I can research that also –

You mentioned about using on other PCs – Post some info back on them also – Firewire [Like USB] has [Hardware Anomalies] that are unique to [Certain Chipsets] & Computers –

Plus – Computers + Operating Systems have [Anomalies] also with [Hardware]

Jack123

skemsley

skemsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers shows the single card, listed as "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller", working properly. No yellow warning signs and no indication of any camcorder (which would be, I think, in the Imaging Devices section).

As for the physical controller card, it's a PCMCIA card (not built-in firewire), labelled as "IEEE 1394 2 Port Card Bus" with no other manufacturer information.

Other PnP devices work fine. I'll try the BIOS settings and another computer tonight and report back.

Thanks for the help!

skemsley

skemsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The other computer is an older Dell Inspirion 8000 running Windows 2000. The same card and camera work fine on that, I just checked to confirm that there was nothing wrong with the camera.

skemsley

skemsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Additional info: I checked the BIOS and there are no settings for ACPI in there.

The firewire card that I'm using is not externally powered, which makes me wonder if there is an issue with insufficient power being supplied to the PCMCIA slot. I tried to get this same configuration going with an older Compaq M700 and although the camcorder was detected and recognized, I was never able to capture; information found online suggested that the power supplied to the PCMCIA slot was the culprit, and apparently it worked when connected to the docking station, which supplies additional power. Since I don't have a docking station for either HP/Compaq machine, I can't test this theory.

I just spent an hour on the phone with HP, who had me update the BIOS, the Intel chipset support and a number of other updates related to XP SP2, and at the end of it all, the camcorder is still not detected. According to their support person, there is nothing in their support database of anyone ever using a firewire card on this machine, so they were unable to offer any further suggestions.

I greatly appreciate any help on this, thanks.

sandy

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Canon Elura 50 DV camcorder-(#2)
7th Dec-2005

(1) – Did you check your BIOS setting –in [POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP] Section for [ACPI] - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface – See what is set in each PC –
(2) – What Service Pack do you have Installed with PC using XP –
(3) – Do you have Installation CD for Camcorder –

It just might be that XP needs to Install Camcorder Driver 1st – for PnP to see new Hardware – If you have CD – Browse thru it for [XP Installation Instructions] –

Driver may be on CD or in a Service Pack for XP – Not sure if the Camcorder is [Class] Type Driver or not – If it is than Driver will be included in an [XP Service Pack] – if it is a Specific – CD will contain Driver –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 07 December 2005 - 06:52 PM.

skemsley

skemsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Jack123, thanks for your assistance. In response to your questions:

There is no power management section in the BIOS.

XP service pack 2 is installed.

The installation disk for the camcorder contains only TWAIN drivers for 98/2000. On the Windows 2000 notebook that I have working, the camcorder installation disk was not required; the device was recognized as a "Microsoft DV", which I suppose is a generic camcorder specification.

The problem is that the device is not detected as a PnP device, it's not a problem of the device not being recognized or missing drivers.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Canon Elura 50 DV camcorder-(#3)
8th Dec-2005

Ok – Lets prepare [Device Manager] to show the History of Camcorder Installations –

Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – This is a 2 Step process that
needs to be done only once –

Step – 1 Set [Folder Options] to [Show Hidden Files & Folders]
Step – 2 Set [Device Manager] to [Show Non Present Devices]

Step – 1 Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] – (1 time process)

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

Step – 2 Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –( 1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Now Open [Device Manager] in Normal manner & Set [VIEW] options to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES]

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Now Browse thru – you need to Expand Folders & either Left Double Click or Right Click all lines to see more info – you are now looking for the – [Muted/faded gray] Devices with Yellow Warning Signs or have a Bold repeated instance of same name –

Do not concern yourself with [Non PnP Devices] – at this time – However you may recognize another problem from the past -

If you do have a faded gray instance & bold instance – That is indicating that either 2 Drivers are installed or you have some remains of a previous Driver – This is a result of a previous [Failed Installation Process] attempt/s -

The significance of these [Non Present Devices] is that they will [Inhibit] the PnP Function – The [proper ones] will prevent PnP from Installing your [Devices] every time you Turn the [Device] OFF & ON – And the [Improper Ones] will prevent PnP from Initial Installation -

[Example]
You do not want your PC to Install your Printer every time you Turn Printer ON – You just want to begin the Printing Process & not Reinstall the Printer each time -

Post back what you are now able to see – regarding Camcorder – in [Device Manager] –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 08 December 2005 - 10:27 PM.

skemsley

skemsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
There are no devices showing in Device Manager either as bold or as greyed-out with the yellow warning sign.

Device Manager shows nothing under "Imaging Devices" except for my scanner, so there does not appear to be a camcorder driver of any sort installed here.

I don't believe that XP has attempted to install a driver for the camcorder device since it appears to have never detected it -- when I first plugged the camcorder in via the firewire card, there was no PnP visual or audible cue. The computer is only 6 weeks old so I've never tried installing a camcorder or any similar device on it before.

Uncletech

Uncletech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a similar problem with a Canon MVX200 camcorder. I have tried it in 4 different computers with 3 different firewire cards and one with integrated firewire. It was originally recognised by my own computer but no longer since I tried it in the others. All are using Windows XP. The only common factor is that all the chipsets are VIA although they are are all different versions. I have read through various web sites and can confirm that I have tried it in Service Pack 2 and Service Pack 1. I have installed a completely fresh version of Windows with no other software installed it is still not recognised. I have tried every cure suggested, to no avail. There appears to be an inherent problem with IEEE 1394 and no one can offer a satisfactory explanation or fix. I am now totally unable to edit any of my holiday films. The fact that it did work originally is really annoying because nothing has changed on my computer. I can only assume that in some way the camera has become damaged. I have tried another camcorder too with the same result. Nothing.

The Firewire cards are immediately recognised by Windows and there are no queries in Device Manager. When you plug in the camcorder, nothing happens.

Advertisements

lost to ms

lost to ms

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had same problem (for past year and half) with Canon ZR20. I'm convinced it happened when moving to MS XP with SP2 from Windows 98SE. 98SE worked fine. Never been able to get the camera recoginized using XP drivers and been trying to revert the drivers without success ... but I haven't given up yet!!!

I've called Canon, MS and looked at different discussion pages at different times. Got looking again over the holiday and the most coherent discussion of some of the issues I have found at:

http://www.myvideopr...ingUnderSP2.htm

you might want to look it over, I'm still working through a couple of their suggestions, no luck yet, but a lot of the discussion I have seen on various sites for this is written by people that don't seem to have the problem, but are offering logical advice to verify XP configuration (My guess is that the discussion under myvideoproblems is right and the older drivers, while less correct, are somehow were more tolerant of differences in behaviour. I want to revert the drivers but haven't/not sure I am doing it right yet and don't have the SP1 drivers and can't get the ADS Pyro 1394 drivers - for the IEEE card I installed 4 years ago - to install over the XP drivers. XP keeps telling me their drivers are more current.)

might want to look also at... (didn't work for me but led me to myvideoproblems)

http://www.mcse.ms/m...e1249537-2.html

Uncletech

Uncletech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am almost certain that this is not a Service Pack 2 issue. My camera used to work with SP2 but will not now work with SP1 or SP2. My suspicion is that the i/o circuit on the camera has been damaged because I can't get it to work on any machine. I am trying it on another computer later today. You are right that most of the suggestions come from people who have not experienced the problem. As the IEEE 1394 drivers are installed automatically by Windows, there doesn't seem to be any way of updating them or indeed any updated drivers.

Uncletech

Uncletech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have now tried my camcorder on a Pentium 4 with a SiS chipset and it still doesn't work. I have tried the suggestions made on the My Video Problems website but none of those work.

bangyboi111

bangyboi111

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am almost certain that this is not a Service Pack 2 issue. My camera used to work with SP2 but will not now work with SP1 or SP2. My suspicion is that the i/o circuit on the camera has been damaged because I can't get it to work on any machine. I am trying it on another computer later today. You are right that most of the suggestions come from people who have not experienced the problem. As the IEEE 1394 drivers are installed automatically by Windows, there doesn't seem to be any way of updating them or indeed any updated drivers.

This has to be the wierdest problem ever. I have the similar problems with my vaio computer my firewire card comes up as working fine on my device list. When I plug my camera in xp does not install drivers automatically. Im prompted to find the driver manually ive try that to with some drivers on the canon site (i have a zr50mc) I was completly successful in capturing on my friends comp with all my materials. My computer also has problems installing any new plug and play devices. This problem is starting to look like a problem that can never be solved. Ive tried every possible option. I guess this will remain a mystery forever since none can come up with an answer.

Edited by bangyboi111, 22 January 2006 - 10:41 PM.

sakarjet

sakarjet

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Canon Elura 50 DV camcorder-(#3)
8th Dec-2005

Ok – Lets prepare [Device Manager] to show the History of Camcorder Installations –

Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – This is a 2 Step process that
needs to be done only once –

Step – 1 Set [Folder Options] to [Show Hidden Files & Folders]
Step – 2 Set [Device Manager] to [Show Non Present Devices]

Step – 1 Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] – (1 time process)

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

Step – 2 Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –( 1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Now Open [Device Manager] in Normal manner & Set [VIEW] options to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES]

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Now Browse thru – you need to Expand Folders & either Left Double Click or Right Click all lines to see more info – you are now looking for the – [Muted/faded gray] Devices with Yellow Warning Signs or have a Bold repeated instance of same name –

Do not concern yourself with [Non PnP Devices] – at this time – However you may recognize another problem from the past -

If you do have a faded gray instance & bold instance – That is indicating that either 2 Drivers are installed or you have some remains of a previous Driver – This is a result of a previous [Failed Installation Process] attempt/s -

The significance of these [Non Present Devices] is that they will [Inhibit] the PnP Function – The [proper ones] will prevent PnP from Installing your [Devices] every time you Turn the [Device] OFF & ON – And the [Improper Ones] will prevent PnP from Initial Installation -

[Example]
You do not want your PC to Install your Printer every time you Turn Printer ON – You just want to begin the Printing Process & not Reinstall the Printer each time -

Post back what you are now able to see – regarding Camcorder – in [Device Manager] –

Jack123

I've come Oh so close to getting my camcorder back online, with this help. I have Two imaging devices show up as greyed out under imaging devices 1.) my Canon Camcorder and, 2.) our Canon powershot sd440, though the lattter is only learned via USB not ieee. Where do I go from here? I've already tried to update the driver , but that's silly since this a now, unrecognized device.