Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Security Center

• Please log in to reply

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have suddenly become unable to access my XP (Sp 2) Security Center. I have gone to the Services Center and tried to start the stopped service, but get: Error Message 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start.

With the assistance of a Microsoft Support person I recently installed the Windows Validation Tool, and I believe that had something to do with it. But when I took the issue back to her she referred me to MS support groups and forums where I could seek assistance, but I was unable to find anything there.

Any ideas...?

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Keith-
Thanks for the reply.
I did as directed, but am still unable to start the security center service.
When I clicked on the Dependencies tab at the Security Center Properties window I got the following: Win32: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion[b], and there is nothing in either of the boxes about what the service depends on, or what depends on the service.
Ideas again...?
Thanks again.
Dan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Keith -
Thanks for the ready reply!
I will try the repair install as you suggest.
I have previously attempted a repair install, but got the message that the version of XP on my computer is more recent than that on the disk I'm using, and wouldn't allow me to do anything further. Does what you suggest account for such a situation?
Thanks again
Dan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Be careful with that because you should only get that when you try to use an SP1 XP CD to install onto a PC which has had SP2 added to it

The guides are straightforward but please post back if you get anything different

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Keith -
It worked! And it also restored the Task Scheduler which I had also lost some time ago, but couldn't figure out how to restore.
I have also reinstalled Sp2 and all the updates.
The only issue that now remains is an intermittent inability to access the internet. I have a DSL connection, and sometimes it connects right up, other times not. This has started just since I did the reinstall, and checking the connection indicates I am connected, but my browser (either IE alone, or in my Juno program) can't find the server. I have the LAN settings at "automatically detect", and it sometimes helps to unplug and replug the wire between my router and CPU, but not always. Also, another computer in the house that uses the DSL via a wireless connection will be working while my machine, connected by wire, doesn't.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Dan

afb

afb

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Win32: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion[/i][b],

Have you run a scandisk?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run Winsockxpfix, bottom of list

http://www.geekstogo...action=cat&id=2

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Keith -
I got it... I did it... It did it!
Thanks!
Dan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Keith -
You are welcome.
And while I am at it... do you receive/accept donations for your assistance? If so, how might I make one?
Other of your GtG colleagues who have helped me have had links for making such, but I don't find one with your info.
Thanks again
Dan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Dan

Next time you see anything you feel drawn to helping with, send them a donation if you would like to

Regards

Keith