Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD burner won't recognize cds

• Please log in to reply

living doll

living doll

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help!!! I have a DVD burner that suddenly won't recognize any cd's to read or burn. It will burn and read DVDs though. This has happened for no apparent reason. I thought it might be Nero so I uninstalled are reinstalled, but no difference. It keeps prompting me to insert cd, even if it is in the drive. I am getting desperate here. Can anyone help???? :tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
What happens when you put a music cd in? Does it play? I'm asking because you mentioned Nero and Nero shouldn't affect music cds... so, I'm just wondering if you meant "all" cds, or only blank ones.

Edited by makai, 06 December 2005 - 03:28 AM.

living doll

living doll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This applies to ALL cds whether audio or data. It just won't read them. But if I copy songs to a dvd, the songs will play on my gigabyte DVD burner. So everything I want to record or listen to must be on a DVD. I want to reformatt my old pc and reinstall windows xp (it was pre-installed on it but no install disc was included with package). I have to insert the windows xp install cd disc but the cd can't be read as its on a cd. I have an older HP system 1.3 ghz. Non-upgradeable video card. 32gb ram I think. Hope this makes sense to you and hope you can help me with this puzzler.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, it could be that the electronics governing the CD portion of the drive has failed. It's really difficult to make a call since it does play DVDs and since the player uses the same laser for DVDs and CDs, it kind of rules out that the laser might just be dirty. You could try purchasing a CD cleaning disc and see if it helps... more than likely it won't.

As an aside... the machine you want to install XP on will require you to purchase more ram, if in fact it's upgradable. 32Megs is definitely not enough ram to run XP with. You could get away with 256Megs of ram, but even that's pushing it. 512Megs would be the least I would use. If this machine cannot handle at least 256Megs, it's not worth installing XP on it.

cruddy

cruddy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have experienced the same problem..It is with nero and I wuse Cr R blank cd's...I am able to burn Dvd's but not cd's..Can anyone help?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ download this software and see if it works...if it does...it may somehow be a nero issue

cruddy

cruddy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks desenette ....I downloaded your program, but it wouldn't let me burn either....I ran the Tools Kit on Nero and it reads Windows 98 and also states I have some missing ASPI files.....I am running Windows XP...Any other suggestions...Thank you in advance

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you attempted to update nero to the most current version?

cruddy

cruddy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
yes i have...i just downloaded 5 packages