Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to share internet connection (1 wireless, 1 hardwired)

• Please log in to reply

john-watman

john-watman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I hope someone might be able to help me.

I have a desktop PC which connects to the internet via an ADSL ethernet / USB router (US robotics). The connection between the PC and the router is via an ethernet cable.

I have never used or needed to use any of it's networking capabilities, it was only ever used as a modem.

I now would like to be able to connect my laptop to the desktop to the desktop, to share the broadband connection, and also to share files.

As I understand it there are 2 ways I can do this.

1 - Using another ethernet cable join the laptop to the router. I have tried this and it works I can connect both pcs to the internet at the same time, but what I really want is to do it wirelessly with the laptop.

2 - I have bought a wireless router and a card for the laptop (KCORP wireless gateway router and wireless notebook network card), so I think I should be able to set it up to do it wirelessly, this is what i really would like. The main desktop will remain hardwired, be it to the old adsl modem-router, or the the new wireless gateway router.

Trouble is I am struggling like [bleep] to get it to work.

Can anybody help me?

I am not sure what I need to connect to where, and how to configure it all.

I am 3 days trying without success.

Thanks in anticipation.

John.

Edited by john-watman, 08 December 2005 - 09:49 AM.

Advertisements

john-watman

john-watman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
also I just realised that although my network works when it is hard wired (ie I can share the internet connection) - I can only share files in one direction, the other way I am denied access.

Help please?

john-watman

john-watman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Adding to my earlier posts, I have resolved the file sharing in both directions issue, thanks to some help from another forum - see below

http://www.duxcw.com...;threadid=12487

I can now share files in both directions, and I can ping one pc from the other in both directions, but I still cannot get the laptop connected to the internet.

I am sure it's something to do with the setup of the wireless access point (configurable by a web based interface), or something to do with my settings.

I have IP set for acquiring automatically on both machines, and I have set the DNS servers according to Tiscali site. I know they are right because the desktop (hardwired) works fine on the net.

Please can anybody suggest anything for me to try?

Thanks.

Chilliman

Chilliman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
i am new to all of this, i have a wireless network and a wired network at home , the wireless side use the wireless router which then goes to a netgear firewall but the wire side go to the netgear.
i would like to be able to see the other computers on me system as i would like to run a box for storage but i can see any of the other comupter but i can ping them, i am going to try the suggestion you listed below i may need more help.

chilliman

Adding to my earlier posts, I have resolved the file sharing in both directions issue, thanks to some help from another forum - see below

http://www.duxcw.com...;threadid=12487

I can now share files in both directions, and I can ping one pc from the other in both directions, but I still cannot get the laptop connected to the internet.

I am sure it's something to do with the setup of the wireless access point (configurable by a web based interface), or something to do with my settings.

I have IP set for acquiring automatically on both machines, and I have set the DNS servers according to Tiscali site. I know they are right because the desktop (hardwired) works fine on the net.

Please can anybody suggest anything for me to try?

Thanks.

john-watman

john-watman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Fixed it, thanks to Larry on the attached forum.

http://www.duxcw.com...;threadid=16273