Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vmm32.vdx problem too

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok,

Go back into bios, change the boot order back to
1= floppy
2= cdrom
3= hard drive

Put the floppy in the floppy drive
Put the CD in the CDrom
Restart the machine and choose option 1

As you mentioned before, this allowed you to install the OS, correct?

If so... once the OS begins installing, remove the floppy from the drive.

See if that makes a difference.

I'm sorry this is taking so long, but sometimes things are more difficult than they should be.

Advertisements

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Ok, changed bios inserted floppy and cd, restarted, chose option #1, switched drive to E and then entered setup. Removed floppy as soon as the setup began. I hate to tell you this but I tried this earlier and got the vmm error. Who knows, maybe it will work. Why am I getting this error, doesn't windows install everything it will need? I may need to consider purchasing a new computer, huh? :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Why am I getting this error, doesn't windows install everything it will need?

No, Windows only installs the OS, and "generic" drivers for add on cards in your system. It will be up to you to later download/install up-to-date drivers.

I am not sure "why" you are getting this error. The setup shouldn't be this difficult. Pehaps because it's a Gateway computer that requires peculiar setup. I have never run into such a perplexing problem and in fact I just set up a Gateway with Win98 about 1.5 months ago with no problems. It might have been a newer model than yours, so that might have been the difference.

Can you get your hands on another Win98 CD that's exactly like the one you're using? If you can, try it and use your own registration serial number.

You may also still be able to use the recovery CD from Gateway to set up the computer, then install Win98 after that. Win98 will upgrade Win95. Do you have the Gateway CD?

I may need to consider purchasing a new computer, huh?

Well... that may be a good thing to do, but still, this computer should be able to be set up. Something is holding it up. Could be the Win98 disk itself, maybe some add on card.

By the way... When exactly do you get this error? Is the error showing up "during" the setup like in your initial post... or has this changed?

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Well.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel. It seems to hang up before the clock settings screen is coming up. Now it is looking for the 1st of all those other missing files. "The file dhcpcsvc.dll on Win 98 can't be found". Copy files from "D:\windows\system\precopy

Why wouldn't this file be on the CD if the computer needs it?

No, I don't have another 98SE CD. I think I should at least have a 98 but I don't see it around here. Matter of fact, I used this same 98SE cd to do the reinstall on that other computer last week :tazz: I do have a 95 cd from another clunker, maybe I'll try installing that one tomorrow. Oh boy, now I'll need another start up disk, right?

I'm not sure on the exact age of this computer, pretty old I think, at least 8-9 years I'm guessing. It was upgraded about 4 years ago to the win 98.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

What's the fun in that?! :tazz: Yah, sometimes things get rough, but most people just don't like to admit defeat. I have a feeling you're "most people"!

It seems to hang up before the clock settings screen is coming up. Now it is looking for the 1st of all those other missing files. "The file dhcpcsvc.dll on Win 98 can't be found". Copy files from "D:\windows\system\precopy

When the computer gives you this message, does it give you any options to change the directory where it's searching for the file? The directory "D:\windows\system\precopy" is incorrect for your CDROM. This is either your ram drive, or a temp drive windows has set up to run the install. If the directory being searched does not contain the file required, you will get this error.

What is the CDROM drive letter? Try changing the path to <cdrom drive>:\win98 (where <cdrom drive> is the drive letter assigned to the cdrom.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
You're right Makai, I'm not ready to let this thing get the best of me.

I did try to change the drive to E, but I left the rest of it the same (E:\windows\system\precopy). That didn't work so I changed the E back to the D. It gives me the option to browse and find something else but since I didn't have a clue I left it as was.

So when I go back tomorrow I should change it just to E:\win98?

Signed,

Down but not out

P.S. Is there a problem with the board today? It is moving at the pace of a snail. Thought it was my computer but that doesn't seem to be the case.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I did try to change the drive to E, but I left the rest of it the same (E:\windows\system\precopy)

This will not work. The reason is because there is no such directory/destination as "E:\windows..."

You see the way things work with computers is that every single destination is an "address"... just like your house address. If your house address was 123 Someplace St. and someone mailed a letter to 124 Someplace St... you would never get the letter. The address is wrong.
On computers, it's the same way. For instance, say your desktop shortcut to Word is C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office\Word.exe... If you change the shortcut to D: and leave everything else the same, Word would never launch because the directory/destination would be incorrect. Make sense?

Try changing the directory (destination) to E:\Win98 and see what happens.

P.S. Is there a problem with the board today? It is moving at the pace of a snail. Thought it was my computer but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Yah, the server here can get reeeaaalllyyyy slow when the forum is busy. Sometimes I can't even connect! At the time you were posting today, there were about 451 people using the different forums here. It's a real pain sometimes, but it's definitely not your computer! Many of the techs have spoken to admin, but there's really nothing that can be done simply because the server just gets too many hits.

Down but not out

Glad to hear that! :tazz:

Edited by makai, 13 December 2005 - 06:48 AM.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Well, I would like to tell you it worked, but it didn't. Here is what I got for a response when I entered E:\win98:

Error Details-The following error occured. The file was not found (error #2). Setup could not finish opening a file on the source disk. Source file c:\windows\system\Precopy\wmexe.exe. Destination File: c:\windows\system\winmodem.101\wmexe.exe +Driver 17 cab.

Forgive me if I missed any punctuation. I think I will try to format and try win 95. I will wait to hear from you first. Do you think I will have any luck installing 95 or is it hard to tell? It's ok, you can give me the bad news, I'm sitting down. :tazz:

Talk to you soon,

Lori

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I think I will try to format and try win 95

At this point, I would try anything! :tazz:

Do you have the Gateway recovery disc also? You might give that a try too.

Let me know how it goes... and if it doesn't... send me the machine! Just kidding! :)

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Makai,

I was just reading another post and the person said he tried format c: and format c: /s. What is the difference between the two? Should I try the latter?

Well, my windows (98) seems to start ok but when I went into OE and Explorer I got error messages. Can't think of what they said off the top of my head. Anyhow, application closes at that point. Is there anything I can try like uninstalling and re-installing through add/remove programs or does it have to do with the bumpy installation (win98)?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I was just reading another post and the person said he tried format c: and format c: /s. What is the difference between the two? Should I try the latter?

The /s switch makes the c: drive bootable. Why this switch is used, I have no idea... it has never made a difference one way or the other for me. Once you use fdisk and make the c: "active", it then becomes the boot drive. So... I don't know.

Well, my windows (98) seems to start ok...

Did you somehow manage to get Win98 running??? What did you do to do that?

Before you go running any applications, you need to right-click on MyComputer, choose Propeties. In the Properties window, find Device manager and look at the list. Are there any red or yellow exclamation marks? Did you already load all your drivers... video, sound, etc?

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Yeah, now that you mention it last night I did look for the yellow exclamations and found a few. I'll let you know exactly which ones they were later.

Windows 98 seems to start up, don't know if it is really working yet. :tazz: At start up the following message comes up "vnetbios.vdx" file is missing. If I want to use the application I need to install the ?. Anyway, since I have no idea what this file is, I'm not sure if I do indeed want to install the program. So I just hit enter and it goes away. Ignorance is Bliss!

So on to the next issue. The computer is looking to install the driver for the 3com windows modem TI. I'm not sure what the driver cd is labeled or where to find the driver I am stuck. This was one of 3 items with the yellow exclamation mark. The other 2 are PCI Ethernet Controller and PCI Multimedia Audio. I now see why it is so important to keep the disks for each individual computer separate. Fortunately, I have learned my lesson. I just matched up a few printer and mouse disks to their respective computers.
I just had my hands on a 3com but it was for Win95. Any good? I need to find it if so.

And the OE and Explorer errors are Msoobe-illegal operation. :)

What do you think?

Edited by sheal, 14 December 2005 - 12:45 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What you need to do is install all the required drivers first.

If the computer has an Asset tag on it... model/serial number/etc... you might be able to visit the Gateway website and track what components were used to build your computer by using the Asset tag number. The site should have an area where you can download the correct/updated drivers.

edited: here's Gateways Support site Just enter your serial number and I think it will give you the specs and where to download drivers.

Some Win95 drivers will work under Win98, so perhaps the modem driver will work. If Win98 doesn't like it, it will reject it. Try going to Gateway site for updated drivers first.

And the OE and Explorer errors are Msoobe-illegal operation.

Are these errors just popping up on their own after startup or something, or are you actually launching OE and IE then getting the error messages? Both OE and IE will look for a way to connect to the internet... but... if you don't install your modem drivers first, then you might get an error.

When you build a computer or, reload in your case, the steps go like this...
fdisk
format
install OS
install drivers

Under install drivers... (and in the following order)
motherboard drivers
chipset drivers
video card
sound card
modem/networking card
any other driver required as shown in Device manager

After you install drivers...
then you can play!... but not before! :tazz:

Edited by makai, 14 December 2005 - 01:36 PM.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Ok, so maybe I was trying to play before the drivers were installed. :tazz: I was clicking on the OE and explorer as a matter of fact.

Well, after entering my serial # and clicking the OS, I see that the bios download includes the motherboards. I also see the video download but what about the chipset and modem? I am not sure what I need. Is there a way to find out? The other thing is that speakers were installed later on (Cambridge Soundworks, I believe). I'm not too concerned about the speakers at this point. Can we wait on the audio?

Is it possible to install the wrong drivers? Also, that 3 com diskette I had didn't seem to reference Win 95. I'll let you know the choices later.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Ok, so maybe I was trying to play before the drivers were installed. :) I was clicking on the OE and explorer as a matter of fact.

BUSTED!!! :tazz:

Well, after entering my serial # and clicking the OS, I see that the bios download includes the motherboards.

Ok, you don't need to update the bios. Doing it incorrectly can kill your machine. So we'll bypass this unless it's absolutely neccessary. Are there separate downloads for the bios, and motherboard?

I am not sure what I need. Is there a way to find out?

In my signature, there is a program called Aida32. Download it, extract it to a folder on the desktop... oops, you will need Winzip... just download version 8 or if you want, you can visit the Winzip site for the latest version. After you extract Aida32, run it and navigate through the program to look for Display/Graphics, Sound/Audio, Modem. Take down the model numbers if possible, and see if they match up with the drivers on the Gateway site... then download the drivers. Hopefully your computer is not so old that Aida32 can't extract the required information.

The Chipset driver will depend on what's on the motherboard. Aida32 will also give you that info under Computer/Summary. Post the info here and I'll help you look for the correct driver.

Yes, we'll wait on the speakers... but you will still need the audio drivers.

Is it possible to install the wrong drivers? Also, that 3 com diskette I had didn't seem to reference Win 95. I'll let you know the choices later.

Yes, it is possible to install incorrect drivers. Sometimes it can be very bad, but usually not unfixable. Still, we'll try to avoid doing this.

I've PM'd you.