Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vmm32.vdx problem too

• Please log in to reply

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Well, thank goodness I don't need to update the bios because I wasn't able to. I copied the files to the floppy and got to the part where it says to restart the computer with the floppy in the drive and guess what?
Yep, I got that invalid disk error pretty much telling me to pop out the floppy. So I called it a night.

The bios update seems to include the motherboards. I just downloaded winzip and Aida32 to my desktop. Can I put each file on a floppy and then open them on my sick computer?

Thanks again :tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Well, thank goodness I don't need to update the bios because I wasn't able to

Well, I guess thats a good thing. The procedure is a little more complex than just downloading the updated bios file and running the floppy. You should never mess with the bios unless it is ABSOLUTELY neccessary.

Can I put each file on a floppy and then open them on my sick computer?

Actually, no... Aida32 is approximately 4.9 megs after extraction... it won't fit on a floppy (I bet you already found this out, right?!) You could burn it to a cd... but what a waste to put just one application on a cd! You could try putting it on a CDRW, but I don't know if the sick computer would read it. You could also put it on a flash drive, but then before you could use the flash drive on the sick computer, you would have to install a win98 driver. Why don't we hold off on Aida32 for now... unless you want to try a CDRW... it might work.

I'll just wait for your PM and then see if I can discern what drivers we need from Gateway. :tazz:

Edited by makai, 15 December 2005 - 07:58 AM.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Just to complicate things, the reason I asked if it was possible to install the wrong drivers was because I had come across a Gateway Driver cd. I did put it in the machine, and attempted to install the video driver. I'm not sure if I chose the right one or not. After looking at my paperwork, I don't know if I chose the right driver for the right machine (I have 2 98 machines). Can we find out if I made an error before we go any further? Can I restore to 12/13?

Forgive me, I did this before you sent your post regarding the driver installation order. I didn't realize there were so many and I wouldn't want this to create a problem later on.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Just to complicate things, the reason I asked if it was possible to install the wrong drivers was because I had come across a Gateway Driver cd. I did put it in the machine, and attempted to install the video driver. I'm not sure if I chose the right one or not. After looking at my paperwork, I don't know if I chose the right driver for the right machine (I have 2 98 machines). Can we find out if I made an error before we go any further? Can I restore to 12/13?

Forgive me, I did this before you sent your post regarding the driver installation order. I didn't realize there were so many and I wouldn't want this to create a problem later on.

Not to worry. As long as the computer isn't acting weird or anything, you can always just update the vid driver to the correct one.

I still have to visit Gateway so I'll be back in a short while.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok...

I visited the Gateway site and after looking at the specs on your machine I've decided that you should just tie a rope around it and use it as a boat anchor! LOL!! Just kidding! :tazz:

What I did find out is that your motherboard doesn't require you to install chipset drivers. That's a good thing! The chipset drivers are installed via Win98 installation and in fact are better than the Intel drivers made for the chipset. Later on, I'll ask you to check something in Device manager just to make sure. Remind me, in case I forget.

So anyways... go through the list below and download the files. Then install them.

Video driver
http://support.gatew...n&param=6000748
Download Win98SE, Win98, Win95 driver (1000KB file size)

Modem driver
http://support.gatew...n&param=6000728
Download Win98, Win95 driver (1030KB file size)
Also download the V90 upgrade driver (599KB file size)

Tape drive
http://support.gatew...m=tbuint008aaww
Download English version for All Operating Systems

BTW... I didn't see any driver for your Audio card. Does this computer have one? Was it installed later or did it actually come with one?

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Makai,

Can I burn these to a cd? And then how exactly do I install them? :tazz: I wouldn't want to goof anything up now.

Speaking of anchors, I found another Gateway computer lying around. I think it was trying to hide from me after hearing what I did to it's relative. It could be my next victim.

Speaking of victims, that other computer that I installed win 98 on last week will need some drivers installed too. It is a Dell. Does Dell's website have the type of of process that Gateway has for finding the necessary drivers?

Thanks again.

P.S. You probably figured out that we added some memory/ram(?) in order to run Win98. It is now up to a whopping 64K (or maybe it's 32?). Does that # sound right? I know it is lacking but it could still surf before I got my hands on it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Can I burn these to a cd? And then how exactly do I install them? confused1.gif I wouldn't want to goof anything up now.

Yes, you can burn them to CD. Just download the drivers and burn them. When you get to the sick computer, insert the CD and double click on the files then follow the prompts. While installing, if you get to a point where you don't understand something, just cancel the install and post here.

Speaking of anchors, I found another Gateway computer lying around. I think it was trying to hide from me after hearing what I did to it's relative. It could be my next victim.

I hope you've been taking good notes! :tazz:

Speaking of victims, that other computer that I installed win 98 on last week will need some drivers installed too. It is a Dell. Does Dell's website have the type of of process that Gateway has for finding the necessary drivers?

Yes, Dell works the same way... although if the computer is too old, they may not have it still on the site. Use the asset tag number just like you did for the Gateway. If you need help finding the info, post back. Dell has a habit of deleting old, old computer support files. I hope you can find the info. If not, there is always Aida32! :)

It is now up to a whopping 64K

I know you mean 64Megs! Better with 256, but we'll get to that later. Two things to remind me about... don't forget now!

Gotta go to sleep now... early day again tomorrow. Talk to you later.

Edited by makai, 15 December 2005 - 07:54 PM.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I'm going to have to wait until Monday. I forgot that I don't have a burner here.

Re: Audio

Yes, the speakers were installed afterwards. They are Cambridge Soundworks, I need to do a little more searching on the whereabouts of the paperwork/cd.

I'll give you an update on Monday. Have a good weekend. :tazz:

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi Makai,

Hope you had a good weekend. :)

I installed the video driver and am now ready for the modem. I looked at the V90 and checked for the modem in Device Manager as noted in the installation instructions. My question is this, under "Modem" my description is 3Com Windows Modem TI. Is this driver and upgrade ok for my computer? I got the impression that it is supposed to say "Telepath for windows with x2" in the device manager.

If ok, which one do I install first? :tazz:

Thanks,

Lori

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hi Lori,

Yes, I did have a good weekend! Hope your's went as well! :tazz:

I installed the video driver and am now ready for the modem. I looked at the V90 and checked for the modem in Device Manager as noted in the installation instructions. My question is this, under "Modem" my description is 3Com Windows Modem TI. Is this driver and upgrade ok for my computer? I got the impression that it is supposed to say "Telepath for windows with x2" in the device manager.

Hmmm... I just visited the Gateway site and read what you read. I don't know. Sometimes vendors use oem modems and just rename them. It could be that the Telepath is actually a 3com.

Did you or anyone else ever change the modem?

Well, since we're going by your serial number, and this is the driver that's being called out, why don't you just install it and see what happens. The worst that can happen is we have to uninstall it if it doesn't work.

Install the drivers in this order...
Win98, Win95 driver (1030KB file size)
V90 upgrade driver (599KB file size)

If windows grumbles after the first install (1030K file), don't install the V90 upgrade.

OMG... I just hit 1000 posts!

Edited by makai, 19 December 2005 - 03:35 PM.

Advertisements

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
SOS,

I need help with the modem/driver installation. Totally confused with step #4. It mentions to look for a red X and a possible com2. I have neither one. Step 5 says to disable com1? Step 8 mentions bios and a serial #. No serial # in bios. When I restarted it did not go to the wizard. I tried to update the driver the way is said to with the video (by browsing and finding the cabs file). I'm guessing that it didn't work and now when I look in device manager I no longer see a modem at all. What have I done?

:tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

What have I done?

LOL! You killed the machine! Things are not supposed to be this difficult! :tazz:

When you installed the driver, did it happen to put an entry into the Add/Remove programs? If it did, then just uninstall the driver and restart the machine.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I'm back.

Well, the only item in "add/remove" is the winzip that I installed the other day. However, when I clicked the "Telepath" icon in the control panel I got the following message: "There is no Telepath device in your system. But some corrupted information belonging to this modem has been found. This has been cleaned."
Apparently my driver install didn't agree with the computer. The other icon I clicked on was the modem. The message I got was that windows did not find any new modem. It then asked me what modem I wanted to install. Since I don't have any idea I left it alone. Did the specs mention the modem? Device manager mentioned 3com before I started the install, then it was gone.

Thanks,

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hi Lori,
In device manager, are there any yellow or red exclamation marks? Did you happen to mess with any of the com port settings?

Why don't we do this...
start the computer in MS-Dos mode (it should be one of the choices in the Shut down menu)
at the prompt, type in cd\ (this should bring you to the c: prompt)
type in scanreg /restore (note the space after scanreg)
You will be given a choice of 5 dates. Pick one before you installed the modem driver. Hit ok and the computer will restore. You will have to restart if the computer doesn't restart by itself.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Makai,

Restore done, device manager shows the modem along with yellow exclamation noting the the 3com windows modem TI description.

Still have the yellow exclamation next to "Other" also. Items are 3com windows modem, 3 com windows modem, PCI Ethernet, PCI Multimedia Audio. Why does the 3 com windows modem show up 3 times?

Can I reinstall the video driver? I think I handled that ok yesterday. How can I tell if it is done correctly?