Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New sound card just keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

icwkev

icwkev

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Back with more problems :)

Just got a new soundcard, the above mentioned one and after booting up my system just crashes before the drivers or whatever can be installed.

it does the lil win xp thing saying new media card found, then its type and then just crashes!

its quite annoying,

help?

Kev :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Kev

Nearly all modern motherboards come with integrated sound cards these days, so I'm assuming yours has one as well. Have you disabled the integrated sound in the bios prior to installing the SB Live card?

If you have already done this, then try moving the SB Live to a different PCI slot.

icwkev

icwkev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hey

I've tried differnt slots, i have two free.

I disabled the onboard sound in device manager but it still crashed when rebooted.

would there be any point trying it in bios? I couldn't see an option to delete it there. Mines a dell (hangs head) if thats any use.

K

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Hi guys and gals

Disabling the integrated sound just from the device manager just isnt enough.

You need to disable the sound card in the bios also like samm said.

icwkev

icwkev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't find where you disable it in the dell bios crappy thing, directions? :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I tell ya google owns.

try that

http://service.dell....0 38073,00.html

icwkev

icwkev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nah, its still crashing. the bios is a lil different but i turned off the onboard and it still crashed. really begining to annoy me now :) :tazz: :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode with networking to see if it will get to the desktop