Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox 1.5

• Please log in to reply

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Has anyone else updated to Firefox 1.5? I did a few days ago, and now if takes longer than it used to to load GTG. I tried it in IE, and it loaded fine. I then tried loading another page in Firefix after opening it, and it seems that the first page I load, no matter the site, takes longer than normal to load.
Any thoughts?

-Ryan

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im getting a speed improvement, i upgraded from RC3 to 1.5 and i have fasterfox running.

1.75 secs on average to load the main page from google.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 December 2005 - 06:03 AM.

Schiffer

Schiffer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't have fasterfox installed, so I don't know how excactly the speed improvement from previous version. But I do get it, at least when compared to 1.0.7. About first loaded page load speed, sometimes i get it too. When open the first homepage right after launching firefox (that means the only tab opened) I get a delay before the page fully rendered. Maybe it's something about cache setting (I set it to 40 MB).

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
OK, I installed fasterfox. NOthing changed. I set my homepage as about:blank, restarted firefox. then I went to the forum index, and it took 17.25 seconds. Any other page load takes about 4 at the most. I'm going to uninstall and then reinstall Firefox, it is possible that somehow it got corrupted.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it is quite possible you can pick up errors in the extraction sometimes, hopefully the reinstall should get it fixed.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
no joy. Firefox kept all my settings and extensions even though I deleted the folder after the uninstall, is that normal?

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
ok, after 1.5 not working, I installed 1.0.7. That didn't work at all, so I reinstalled 1.5, and it still doesn't work.
So I thought that maybe the GTG main page was big, and that's why it was taking long (though I don't know why it would be taking long after 5 months). So I made a web page that all it said is "does this work". The answer is yes, but only after 17 seconds.
Guess I'm going to have to put up with this for a little while.

-Ryan

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Weird, i dont know what it is then, it must just not like you. Maybe you offended it try saying sorry, the fox is a fickle beast, lol.

criticman

criticman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm having odd problems with my new 1.5 browser, myself. Won't recognize cookies and sites keep telling me Javascript isn't installed. The browser says they're wrong on both counts. Also, you are correct, Fasterfox does nothing for me, either.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm, you might try installing the latest version of java yourself i hardly ever have to install the plugin components for firefox because all the software needed i allready have installed in its full form.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

Weird, i dont know what it is then, it must just not like you. Maybe you offended it try saying sorry, the fox is a fickle beast, lol.

When I apologized, it wasn't accepted. I then proceeded to uninstall 1.5 and reinstall 1.0.7.

Problem solved :tazz:

-Ryan

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
1.0.7 works then, must be a conflict with something else you have installed that only affects 1.5. Its weird how something works great 99% of the time but for no apparent reason something doesnt work properly.

As long as 1.0.7 works, you should put a report into mozilla so they know to work on a fix, thats the great thing about mozilla its all open source and easily developed so someone somewhere will fix the problem and it doesnt take a legion of super qualified software engineers to do it.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Just for an update, I just reinstall 1.5...previously described problem no longer exists

-Ryan

skeeto

skeeto

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
are there any know security issues with firefox?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Every browser has known security risks. Go to Secunia.com and check out browser security issues. At the top portion of the page, you'll see some links to browsers. You'll soon see why IE is so problematic! Opera seems to have the least security issues, but I really dislike Opera's interface. Then again, to each his own!