Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add or Remove Programs

• Please log in to reply

circusNiNjA

circusNiNjA

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Is there any other way to Add or Remove programs other than through the control panel? Because for some reason, recently i lost the option to remove programs????????????? The little option box to un-install stuff just disappeard, it shows how often the program is used, but thats it!!!!! Im runnin Windows XP home edition. HELP!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
has the option to uninstall software dissapeard on all software in add/remove? or just specific software?
are you the administrator on this machine?(or at least is your user account in the administrators group?)

is this the only symptom...or are there other problems as well?

circusNiNjA

circusNiNjA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It is only specific software, but on stuff I would never un-install. Like I installed a trail version of Norton Anti-Virus, the trail is over, but I dont have the option to un-install it. There is a few other things I wanna get rid of as well. And Yes, I am the Administrator on this machine. Thats really the only question I have at the moment, no other problems. But, ill let ya know. lol. What can I do????

circusNiNjA

circusNiNjA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
can anybody here help me??????????????

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hello,

Welcome to Geeks To Go! My name is Paul and I will be working to assist you with your problem. I see that you are having a problem with the Add/Remove Programs utility, this is not at all rare. Let me provide you with a download link: Add/Remove Programs Fix

Please respond back to this thread as I would like to see if this helped you.

Paulcomputerman

Edited by don77, 08 December 2005 - 10:50 AM.

circusNiNjA

circusNiNjA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I ran it, but nothing has changed :tazz: Did I do it wrong? What was suppose to happen?

circusNiNjA

circusNiNjA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello?

circusNiNjA

circusNiNjA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
sooooooooooo, does "no reply" mean Im screwed? lol

circusNiNjA

circusNiNjA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let's try two things before i spit you over to malware...

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

have you tried to uninstall this stuff in safe mode?

circusNiNjA

circusNiNjA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was un-able to locate an XP cd. I believe it was issatlled instore.....Ive done safe mode once before, can you remind me??????

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to get into safe mode...just reboot your computer and continually tap f8 during startup..this should give you a list of options...choose safe mode

circusNiNjA

circusNiNjA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Even in Safe mode,nothing is different. What is really frustrating is that when I first got my computer, the option to un-install was there for ALL my programs and now its not. I cannot figure this out. Any other ideas?????

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i hate to do this..but i wan't to send you over to the malware guys so that we can absolutely rule out malware as a cause..before i get really frustrated

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

circusNiNjA

circusNiNjA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I will. Sry if I frustrated you.