Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant get my 6600GT to work

• Please log in to reply

Shoota

Shoota

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I bought a Chaintech 6600GT for my PC (Dell Dimension 4400) and Im having problems getting it to work.

Specs:
Pent4 1.6 ghz
786MB RAM
40GB HD
Geforce 2 MX 400

As you might notice, I wanted to replace my current gfx card with the 6600GT. So I put in the card, plugged in the molex connector, and turned on the PC. Everything was fine but at the login screen my mouse and keyboard weren't working.

So i turn off the PC and restarted it. This time i heard 3 beeps, a pause, and then 2 beeps afterwards. Nothing came up on the monitor.

I tried again with my old card and everything worked fine. Any solutions?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

First of all, the new card is a PCI-Express video card.. Your system doesn't handle PCI-Express.. It uses an AGP slot..

Did you not check this out before you purchased the new vid card??

Murray

Shoota

Shoota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Its not a PCI-e card its AGP. How else would i get it to fit in the slot.

Here's the card I bought off newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814145107

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. I did a search on the card and everything came up as a PCI express..

You still don't meet the minimum requirements for the card..

System Requirements Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon or compatible CPU
64MB System Memory or above
CD-ROM
Requires AGP 8x slot compliant motherboard

Yours is just a 4x compliant !!

Murray

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You would be surprises what people can fit things into when they want to, do you know the exact model of the mitherboard. You can run CPU-Z it should tell you the model and you can look upo the manual for it and find out what the beep code is telling you.

Newegg do say it is AGP 4x compliant mind you i havent seen any AGP4x complaint 6600GTs most people with AGP4x shouldnt get a 6600GT it would bottleneck.

Chaintech list it as AGP 4x compliant as well.

Best thing to do is make sure its in the slot properly and you havent knocked anything loose then give it another go, whats the rating on your PSU as well.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 December 2005 - 02:02 PM.

Shoota

Shoota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
My PS is 300W

On the dell upgrade forums i went to, many dimension 4400 owners have suggested the 6600GT so I went with it.

Im very sure I seated the card correctly in the AGP slot. I've done video card upgrades before on my other PCs. Im thinking the video card was shipped defective.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Maybe i would suspect the PSU of going south myself, they are generic and when you alter the config after a long time the drawing of extra power at the limits of its output can put on more strain to the PSU than it should, i would send the card back and if the new one they send you doesnt work then its the power supply and you just get a new one.