Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heeeeeeeeeeeelp!

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alright, let's make some changes:

1. Start Registry Editor.

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Click on the entry. In the menu at the top, click on Registry and select Export Registry Value. Save it onto the desktop as UpperFilters. This is a backup just incase this is not the solution. Now on the menu at the top, click on Edit and then click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Now, locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. Once again, click on the entry. In the menu at the top, click on Registry and select Export Registry Value. Save it onto the desktop as LowerFilters. This is a backup just incase this is not the solution. Now on the menu at the top, click on Edit and then click Delete, and then click OK.

6. Restart your computer.

Let me know if it works.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 December 2005 - 01:35 PM.

Advertisements

LaXene

LaXene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
:tazz: what upper and lower filter r u talking about?? also, when i tried to delete the thing it said that there was an error and couldnt delete it.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

That is a location. When you navigate to that folder (in regedit), there should be two or more files in the right-hand window called UpperFilters and LowerFilters.

If you don't see them, we'll move on to something else.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 December 2005 - 01:51 PM.

LaXene

LaXene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks for ur help, but this is too confusing.

LaXene

LaXene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i really have to go now but ill come by tomorrow to keep trying to fix this problem, thanks for everything

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty then. See ya tomorrow.

LaXene

LaXene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok here i am. yeah i dont see the upper or lower filters.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Try this:

1. Start Registry Editor. To do this, click on Start, Run, type regedit in the space provided and then press enter.

2. In the left-hand window, navigate to the top and click once on My Computer to highlight it.

3. In the menu at the top, click on Edit, Find, and type UpperFilters in the box. Press enter.

4. When the entry is found, look at the bottom of the window for the address of the entry. It should look exactly like this: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. If it does not look like that, press F3 so it will look for the next entry that is called UpperFilters. If you find one whose address matches what is highlighted in red, then delete the Upperfilters entry.

If you can't find a upperfilters entry that has that address, then let me know. Make sure it has that address. If you're not sure, you can take a screenshot by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard and pasting it in paint. Save it as a JPEG and post it in your reply. All the info I've found on missing CD/DVD drives points to that problem. I'll try to find something else.

LaXene

LaXene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
there's no UpperFilter entry that has that address. :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty then.

It could be as simple as a loose cable, or just a CD-ROM drive that has gone bad. If your computer is no longer under warranty, open it up and check the cables. If the cables are all snuggly fit, you could try this:

Unplug the computer from the wall so it is not powered. Now uplug all the CD drive's cables. Plug the computer back in and start it. Once everything is loaded up, shut the computer down, unplug it from the wall, and replug all the drive's cables back in. Now restart it and see if the drive is there.

If that doesn't work, or if your computer is under warranty, answer these questions:

1. What programs have you have installed lately, no matter how unlikely they may seem related to your CD drive. Name the programs you've installed from the past 2 weeks.

2. What CD burning programs do you have installed?

Advertisements

LaXene

LaXene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
alright ill try that, thanks for ur help. :tazz: