Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

really frustrated

• Please log in to reply

budd1e_lee

budd1e_lee

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
recently while playing condition zero, not even on the highest setting my CPU usage hovers at like 90% and often sits at 100% for extended periods...

now I have a P4 2.0, just installed geforce fx 5700le 256mb, 512 mb ram

I have no idea how to fix this, I have nothing else running and have ended all of the processes that I believe I can turn off... what else can I possibly try?!?!

I also used to run a geforce 2 64mb and never saw these problems, maybe its a video card thing?

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Make sure your indexing service is disabled...

budd1e_lee

budd1e_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I actually just turned it off last night just before I went to bed, haven't played around with it much yet, I will report back as to if this has helped, thanks

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I saw the 90%/100%....but something you might want to check on: If a P4 overheats it will slow down. Its a built in safety feature. I would sweep the machine for virus's, spyware and trojans. And probably run Hijack this.

budd1e_lee

budd1e_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I actually just finished cleaning it all off, no luck, Im bout to throw this thing out the window

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
You might want to check the BIOS and make sure that the Cache is enabled.....

Check your virtual memory: control panel>system>advanced>performance. I for get the ideal range but you can make the virtual memory 3 times as big as the amount of RAM. Set min and max to the same value.