Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Allow connection to Win2K3 Server via Remote Desktop on XP machine

• Please log in to reply

brk2000

brk2000

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am trying to log into the server with a standard user. This server is a Windows 2003 server. The pc connecting to it is a Windows XP machine. Each time I try to log on, it says:

The local policy of this computer does not allow you to log on interactively.

This computer is the backup domain controller. I'm pretty sure this explains why I am unable to find the local policy to add this user because it is not visible under Computer Management. I also can't add users when you right click My Computer, choose Properties, and go to the Remote Tab. Under there you can specify users allowed to log onto the server, but the button is greyed out.

I have tried changing some of the users Active Directory Member settings, but I have not found one that works (Although, I'm quite sure Administrator works ;-)).

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
This is by design. Only administrator can logon DC. This link may help,

Troubleshooting terminal server issues
"The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively. ...
open Active Directory Users and Computers, check "Allow Logon to terminal ...
http://www.chicagote...eshootingts.htm

brk2000

brk2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your help.

A few more things.

I read the article and here's what's going on.

My primary domain controller is a Windows 2000 server. The backup domain controller is a Windows 2003 Server. I want to connect to the Win 2003 server with Remote Desktop...not Terminal Server.

There is an active directory group that was already part of Administrative Tools>Domain Controller Security Policy>Security Settings>Local Policies>User Rights Assignment>Policy>Log on Locally. I added the user to this active directory group. The user was unable to log onto the Windows 2003 server, but could log onto the Windows 2000 Server. Then, I added the user name directly into the Local Policy>User Rights Assignment>User Rights Assignment>Policy>Log on Locally. Once again, I was still unable to log onto the Windows 2003 server. I also checked the Administrative Tools>Domain Controller Security Policy>Security Settings>Local Policies>User Rights Assignment>Policy and Log on Locally was not listed on the 2003 server.

If you need further info., please let me know. I greatly appreciate the help. I hope you have further suggestions.

Thanks.