Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adding ram, please help

• Please log in to reply

andrew12345

andrew12345

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok i want to add more RAM but have been told that i need to 'ground' myself. do i need to use an antistatic wrist strap or could i just hold on to a radiator with my free hand for the whole procedure? thanks

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Hold one of your hands on the bare metal of the case after you take off the side panel.

*bare metal* not the outside of the case. Always keep one hand on it at all times.

If you have a coat on wool ect take it off. When you are actually installing the ram you might need two hands so atleast keep your arm on the bare metal somehow.

Edited by jrm20, 07 December 2005 - 04:33 PM.

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
so if i hold my hand on a bare metal part of the inside of the chassis, theyres no risk of damaging the pc?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Holding the case, as long as it is plugged in, will work. You need to be grounded, as well as the parts. Before you open the bag the memory is in, put it on the bare case.

That being said, the best way is to use a static kit which you connect a mat to ground and connect a wrist strap to the mat. You can also use the ground of the case or disconnect the machine and place it on the mat. Most people don't have a static kit though. The static kits use a 1 Meg Ohm resister in series to ensure that you don't get shocked.

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
is it not dangerous to have your hand in the case when it is still on at the mains?

could i not just hold onto a radiator?

Edited by andrew12345, 07 December 2005 - 04:50 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I have put together pc's in a garage just keep touching the bare metal case. You dont have to plug in the power and install the powersupply.

But it is better to have a wrist band. You have to work with what you got sometimes.

Edited by jrm20, 07 December 2005 - 05:06 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It is clearly not best to have the machine plugged in, but the power switch is off. If it is not plugged in, then the machine is not grounded. Any good ground will do, but a painted surface will not since the paint is an isolator.

I know better and have not used a static kit (which I have) because I was lazy and did not have a problem that I know of. Some of the damage is not obvious and it does not mean that it will fail right away. There is what is best and then everything else in decending order :-).

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need to turn off the switch at the back of the power supply you dont need to touch the case all the time only every know and agian, every 5 minutes or so, a wrist band that connects you to the case is the best way you can get them from most pc or electronics shops for a couple of quid.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

You need to turn off the switch at the back of the power supply you dont need to touch the case all the time only every know and agian, every 5 minutes or so, a wrist band that connects you to the case is the best way you can get them from most pc or electronics shops for a couple of quid.

Time is not an issue, it is what you are doing and what you are wearing. It is best to remain constantly connected to ground, through a resistor.

There are some cheap grounding straps which are single use and I doubt that they cost much (not worth much either, but better than nothing).

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
there is many ways to do things. Someone will always disagree. I have built atleast 12 pc's without a anti static anything. Just by keeping my hand on the raw metal (unpainted metal). All of the pc's are still running fine to this day...

The rest i just build with a anti static wrist band.

Edited by jrm20, 07 December 2005 - 05:54 PM.