Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Repair Aftermath

• Please log in to reply

aalh004

aalh004

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I recently had to perform a Windows Repair job on my PC using the Windows Xp cd, all went well except for one thing i noticed that is really bothering me.

The Windows start Welcome screen takes an unusually long time to disapear every time the computer is
switched on or restarted, trust me im not eggsaturating, it really does take a long time!!

This is not the fist thats happened, i once before did a repair and the same thing occured, but I since have re-installed Windows, this time i dont want to do that if possible. So, any clue???

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
hi , Go to START > RUN > Type MSCONFIG > go to the STARTUP tab > Untick the ones you dont need

for even quicker startup go to MSCONFIG again go on Services then Tick the box Hide all Microsoft Services

Dont forget to Click APPLY then RESTART your pc

if this doesnt work Scan your pc with Anti-Virus software , Ad-aware software and Antispyware software

If you dont Have any Adware or Spyware Protection please do tell me and ill get back to you A.S.A.P

here are the downloads if you dont have any Software for your pc

Anti-Virus - Download Here

Adware - Download Here

Anti-Spyware - Download Here

spybot Search & Destroy - Download Here

Edited by NvidiaDude, 08 December 2005 - 05:39 AM.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

The Windows start Welcome screen takes an unusually long time to disapear every time the computer is
switched on or restarted, trust me im not eggsaturating, it really does take a long time!!

If it's only the Windows welcome screen that lags, and takes for ever to load into the desktop then I would highly recommend this fix:

1. Click the "Start" menu.
2. Select "Control Panel".
3. When the Control Panel appears, select "User Accounts".
4. When the "User Accounts" window appears, underneath "Or pick an account to change", click "Change the way users log on or off".
5. Uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen".
6. Click the "Apply Options" button.

How many account names are on this PC? Your basically Removing the Welcome Screen.

NvidiaDude MSCONFIG won't help him with this issue. :tazz:

Edited by Irongeek, 08 December 2005 - 08:28 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
msconfig might help with this issue...but..."uncheck the services you don't need" wont help....how do you know what services aren't needed? how do you know what services are running?

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
msconfig works fool,.. people might have slow bootup up and that can stop the welcome screen lagging and whats your idea LOL

Edited by NvidiaDude, 08 December 2005 - 08:41 AM.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
well dsenette he could take a screenshot of the system configuration utility

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

msconfig might help with this issue...

Again, MSCONFIG will not help with this issue.

msconfig works fool,.. people might have slow bootup up and that can stop the welcome screen lagging and whats your idea LOL

When you boot up your machine, Windows XP shows you a "Welcome" screen where you can easily click on your account name. Then, all you need to do is enter your password, (IF REQUIRED) and you're ready to go! THIS IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN THE WINDOWS DESKTOP. ALSO, YOU WOULDN'T USE MSCONFIG (AKA system configuration Utility) TO FIX THIS ISSUE EITHER.

Go back and re-read this FOOL:

switched on or restarted

He never said it takes for ever to load into the Windows desktop or, even has an issue with the Windows desktop for that matter. On a side note:

If your a geek in training you need some better training seriously.

You can also remove the Windows splash screen (GUI) by adding /noguiboot to the last line of the boot file. What file exactly? boot.ini file needs to be modified. Very simple. Again, this is different than the windows 'welcome screen'and also, different from the windows desktop.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Irongeek & NvidiaDude your bickering is not helping this user in the least bit.

This is your only warning, if you are here to help people, do so, if you have a problem with each other or instructions given by the other party, take them private and keep these topics on track so that our user gets the benefit of good quality help without all the crap.

Any questions, comments, or concerns can be posed to me via PM so as not to muddy up this thread any more than it already is.

ScHwErV :tazz:

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
chill dude

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
God almighty!! why is it so complicated!! AH WELL, might as well give it a shot!! Thanx everyone for your posts!!